Tub Drains Slowly

Users who are viewing this thread

froddan

Reaction score
I recently changed the plumbing for a tub-shower from the old galvanized pipes to ABS pipes. I changed the entire drain from the Overflow to P-trap, vent connection and past the sinks.
Everything seems fine, I pretty much configured it in the same way the old pipes had been, but it drains pretty slowly.

I used 1 1/2 inch pipes, and I think there is enough slope to the entire drain.
There is certainly no clogs as the pipes are new.

I did a test by filling a 5 gallon bucket with water, poured it into the tub, and it took 62 seconds for it to completely drain, vs only 28 seconds fror the 5 gallons to drain from my kitchen sink, which has a 1 1/4 inch pipe.
Any idea how long it SHOULD take to drain 5 gallons? Probably not the most scientific way, but a pretty good measurement.

It drains evenly slow (if that makes sense).
I removed the overflow puck to see if that blocked anything, but it didn't change it at all.
The only thing I could guess would be if it is clogged further down the pipe.
Would "not enough slope" create this problem?

Any suggestions would help!

Thank you!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd suspect a clog. A 1-1/2" drain is large enough for a tub. Even a shower will drain just fine with a 1-1/2" drain unless it becomes clogged. I see no harm in a 2" drain for the kitchen, but kitchen sink hardware is designed for 1-1/2". Bathroom basins are usually 1-1/4". Again, larger wouldn't hurt, but the sinks are designed for 1-1/4".

Bosun

Reaction score
How long were you working on the drain?

Was this a month-long process? I have done renovations before where some stuff further down the line "toughed-up" during the month of no use. Clog.

Venting issues?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Gary, no option !!

We went 2" on kitchen sinks years ago , and that's good. Garbage disposals
are the reason. 1 1/2" will not pass inspection. I always install an additional tapped sani-tee above ,for drain clearing on every sink.

MG

Reaction score
Are they making sinks and disposals now that have 2" drains?

Theoretically you should not shove large amounts of stuff down the disposal at one time...you have to give it some time to process and w/a goodly amount of water.

Personally I'd like to redo our kitchen line to 2" but it would mean removing a section of a wall in a bathroom to get to it.

froddan

Reaction score
Bosun,

Yes, it was quite a long project, probably two weeks at least, maybe four.
I don't think there should be any venting issues. There is a vent about a foot away from the P-trap that goes up in the attic and through the roof.
I guess I could snake that too, if necessary.

Thanks for your reply!
Regardless of size in the kitchen sink, (might be 1 1/2") it drains perfectly fine, so I'm not worried about this...:)
Would a small snake auger work through a P-trap?
http://www.hechinger.com/hardware/t...-15-plastic-drum-auger-pistol-grip-82150.html

Was this a month-long process? I have done renovations before where some stuff further down the line "toughed-up" during the month of no use. Clog.

Venting issues?

froddan

Reaction score
One more question:

Would the location of the P-trap affect drainage for a tub?
For example, if the vertical drainpipe under the tub only extends 2 inches down before it reaches the P-trap, vs if the vertical pipe is longer before it reaches the P-trap?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. As long as the outlet is leading to a line that is sloped down with the proper slope, the depth of the p-trap isn't a big deal. There is a practical maximum, but I'm not aware of a minimum.

froddan

Reaction score
Thanks!
The slope is quite visible, and although difficult to measure, I think it is about 1/2" per foot.
Is there a maximum distance between the tub-drain and the vent pipe?
The tub vent is located about a foot away from the P-trap (see attached picture).

Attachments

• tubplumbing.JPG
    tubplumbing.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 321

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You're well within the limits for the vent on the tub, and yes, there are limits, but it depends on the diameter of the pipe used. Don't remember the exact numbers.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Does the tub drain have a strainer? Or is it one of the push-pull drains or a toe touch or something like that?

Quite often, there is a strainer in the tub, then a cross below that - take off the strainer part and use needle-nose pliers to pull out the hair ball that's hanging by a couple of hairs on the cross.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Hi M J The answer is no,of cource

I am talking 2" sani tee and drain, for kitchen sinks.
Like many countys ,we use the UPC , and then have our local amendments to it. It's the right thing to do ,in My opinion.

froddan

Reaction score
The entire tub strainer-overflow is brand new. There is nothing in it.
Althogh I have to say that the overflow parts seem to be a bit limited in the flow of drainage.
I found out that for a 1 1/2 inch pipe, the vent should be the same size and be located within 3.5 feet, so you are right, I am well within those limits.
VERY strange!!! I know I will be snaking vent and drain lines this weekend.
Thanks again for all responses.
I am still looking for a drainage time for 5 gallons from someones tub or sink.
F

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I still suspect a clog. Perhaps there is some drywall mud or similar that is partly clogging the drain? Maybe some other foreign material somehow got into it. I think a good augering is in order by a professional. There are undreds of thousands of tubs in the US that drain just fine with 1-1/2" pipe, so there sure seems to be something else at fault here.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I drain probably about 40-gallons in 3-minutes or so from my tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks