light in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Gfe76

Reaction score
Roughing in standing shower. thinking about putting a shower ceiling light in with switch right outside shower threshold. Anything special about putting a light in ceiling of shower? (I plan on having a 16" square access panel in shower ceiling to get accesss to shut off valves.)
Thanks

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
2005 NEC 410.4(D) says your lighting fixture must be listed for the location. I would also put it on a GFCI-protected circuit, assuming the switch is close by.

Gfe76

Reaction score
thanks mikey...that's what I thought (although I didn't know the code section). Can these lights be purchased at big box store as long as it says suitable for showers (wet conditions)? thanks

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Whe you say "light" I assume you mean a recessed fixture. You just need to make sure that the fixture has a trim option that is approved for damp conditions. I believe most do. There is certainly a limitation as to how close you can place an outlet to a tub. I don't know that this applies to switches and showers, but I wouldn't necessarily put the switch within arms reach of the shower.

Rick

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
1100705340_4.jpg

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Also, no GFI protection is required for recessed lights over a tub or shower.
You can if you want, but it is NOT required.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, no GFI protection is required for recessed lights over a tub or shower.
You can if you want, but it is NOT required.

Some AHJs require GFI protection, so it's a good idea to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Some AHJs require GFI protection, so it's a good idea to ask.

Actually it is a good idea for them to provide a code reference if they "require" it.
I had this happen with one guy who wanted GFI for switches within reach of a shower. He could not provide a written code reference so it was not done.
It was a silly request any way.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually it is a good idea for them to provide a code reference if they "require" it.
I had this happen with one guy who wanted GFI for switches within reach of a shower. He could not provide a written code reference so it was not done.
It was a silly request any way.

All they need to do is amend the NEC at a public meeting.

Prashster

Reaction score
I'm no pro, but I wouldn't put a switch near a shower if I didn't have to.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
OK. Why? Just because?

He has probably been shocked from a switch cover plate screw before. I know I have.

There is aways something creepy about touching a switch when you are wet and naked standing on a tile floor. impure water WILL conduct.

Prashster

Reaction score
OK. Why? Just because?

I'm sure there's a safe way to do this, but it's a needless risk (IMHO). There's just no reason to have it within arms reach of the shower. I'd put it near the main light switch at the entrance of the bathroom. I have 2 kids that use the master shower occasionally and find lots of reasons to reach out while inside.

Of course, if the b-room is small enough, the point's moot anyway, since the switch'd HAVE to be within arms reach of the shower.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
When installed properly, there's no reason to fear the close proximity of electricity and water.

After all, just look at a water pump, your garbage disposal, boilers, dishwashers, electric water heaters, clothes washers, electric presure washers, swimming pools.....

Gfe76

Reaction score
hey guys....thanks so so much....appreciate all the input....great site!
the light will be recessed and the bath is small, but I will try to put switch on wall other than right outside shower. thanks again.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Picture your wife all nekkid and ready to hop in the shower, and ask yourself if she's going to be happy about having to walk across the room to turn on the shower light. The switches for our shower light and fan are right by the door, and that's why the circuit is GFCI-protected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks