pump died now gray water

Users who are viewing this thread

djfmalott

Reaction score
Hi, Here's some history...3 years ago we had to replace our well.
So, a week ago our pump went out and the well driller came back out and replaced our pump. Now our water is grey. It seems to be just the cold water though. We have a high salt content and are unable to drink the water since the new well. Which was drilled to 320 ft 3 years ago..great pressure though..... we have had to bring our drinking water in from other sources. Anyways thats not the problem here. How or what should we be doing to get our water clear. What should I be telling the well drillers to do. It has been since October 30th since they put the new pump in and the water is still grey. Should we still be running the water out side at the well? Are we hurting our hot water heater by running it? Does anyone have any advice?
I appreciate your time and wisdom.
Deb

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hi Deb,

If you can run it at the well, do so until it is clear there. Then take off the aerators from all your faucets and run the cold water full blast everywhere you can until clear, including bathtubs, laundry tubs etc. Once clear, that should be the extent of your grey water.

Changing a pump out always caused this.

bob...

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalott

Thanks for the response. I will what you said. I do have a quick question that I forgot about the other day. When they came out to inspect to se if the pump went out they were unable to get it out of the well. So they pushed the old pump to the bottom of the well and placed the new pump above that. Is this a normal thing? I have noticed the cold water has hardly no pressure at all. Where we used to have great pressure even though we were unable to drink it. Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
To answer your question, yes it does seem to be common practice, however I prefer to fish the old one out if at all possible. Pushing one to the bottom may not always be the actual bottom of a rock well or in the case of a screened well, the bottom would be on top of the screen that the water enters through. So this is a very bad practice. It's the easiest though.

Hopefully when you remove the aerators, the pressure will be better.

bob...

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalott

Bob,
I appreciate your help. I will let you know as soon as we have clear water again. I really love my home and hate the thought that we don't have great water. Thanks again.
Deb

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalot

Bob,
By the way we recieved the bill the other day and were amazed that it was over $1,000.
Deb

Speedbump

Reaction score
We charge over $1000.00 to change out a 1/2 - 1.5 hp sub. Much more on larger, ones, but he should not charge that much if he can't get the old pump out in my opinion, because he did a half assed job.

bob...

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalott

Hi Bob,
As of today we still have the problem with the water. I was hoping to write you and tell you everything was great. The well drillers are coming out again tomorrow. I think we have given it enough time to come clean. Once this is clean do you think we should clean out the hot water heater? I know nothing is guaranteed when it comes to well water, but I would like water that isn't grey. How come the hot water is clear? Just curious. Once again I appreciate all your advice. I wish you were in Michigan, I would call you.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The hot water is clear because what ever is making it cloudy is settling to the bottom of the tank.

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalott

Thanks. Believe it or not I thought that may be happening. I certainly don't need to replace a hot water heater.
deb

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalott

Hi..
how can i get a hold of you speedbump? We finally have clear water from the cold but now we are clogging up the toilet with small pebbles. I guess from sand. Or possibly from clay.? any info you can share of what we should be doing. Or what kind of questions or pressure should we be putting on the well company that replaced the pump. Thanks again..
deb

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalott

i have tried the pumpandtanks.com and get redirected saying it doesn't exist..help..the toilet is still doing it and i need ideas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks