2 wire heating system

Users who are viewing this thread

JJLJr

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house and want to replace the Honeywell T87A 1000 thermostat with a programmable one. I purchased a Honeywell RTH6300B "5-2 Day" thermostat. When I removed the old t'stat, I noticed that there were only two wires, a black and a white. I traced the wiring back to the boiler and found a splice with the black connected to a red and white to white.
Can I merely connect the existing black (red) wire to R and the white to W?

Thanks for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes. The fan on/auto switch will not work since there is not a wire to the furnace for its control, though.

JJLJr

Reaction score
Is that a problem? I have an oil fired burner with forced hot water. How would the fan on/auto affect the system?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's probably why they didn't run more wires! The fan control is for forced air systems. It shouldn't matter at all. Note, some of the smart thermostats have internal switches to customize it to the type of heating system you have. If yours does, make sure to set them properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks