Overheating boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanValdes

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had to remove and replace a circulating
pump in my boiler with a new TACo pump it had a (it Bell&Gosset), I know it was the pump because it was making real loud noises, anyway after I replaced the pump I bled the radiators and turned on the boiler and everything was running smooth until the pressure relief valve started spitting out a whole lot of hot water, the temperature on the gauge was over 120 farenheit degrees, I don't know what else to do can you please help me.
I have a Slant/Fin hot water boiler it's a closed loop
system, one zone, it's a two family house with
independent boilers, the boiler in question serves the second floor. any suggestions anybody?????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
relief

What was the pressure? Once the water started heating, if the expansion tank was defective, the pressure would have increased over the 30 psi level very quickly. And that would have made the valve dispense water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It does sound like the expansion tank needs replacing. It should normally be mostly full of air, not water. It has an air valve, similar to a tire on it. If you open that, my guess is you'll get water out, a sure sign it is shot. Buy a new one, replace it if it is full or water. In the process, monitor the pressure...it normally runs around 14-18#. If it is much above that, the safety circuits would likely trip. As water is heated, it expands, thus the need for the expansion tank to temper the pressure since the copper/steel, etc. piping doesn't expand much! That's what the air in the expansion tank is for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks