(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: In Box Indicator Light

Default In Box Indicator Light

I have a three way switch for a hall light. You can't see the hall light from one of the switches. I would like to put an indicator by that light so that you know the outside light is on. Is there such a thing as a light bulb that goes in a switch box?

They are called pilot-light switches.

Pass & Seymour catalog numbers are:
    15 amp three-way: PS15CA3- Add CPL for a clear light, RPL for red.
    If you need a 20a: PS20AC3-RPL
    Just my 2 worth.

Thanks. I didn't find the exact Pass & Seymour one yet, but I did find some others by searching for pilot light switch.

Do they make one that is only a light (doesn't have the switch part)?

P&S #s:

Red lens: 2151-RED
    Green lens: 2151-GN
    White lens: 2151-W

More towards your needs?
    Just my 2 worth.

Yes, thank you! I knew that I had seem it somewhere, but couldn't remember what it was called.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Sometimes the pilot light requires neutral in the box, which may not be available.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Does it matter what color light I use? i.e. is there some convention that say red only applies to boilers/ green to Christmas trees/ white to refrigerators?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

whatever turns you on...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

You will need to be at the 3 way switch that sends the switch leg to the light fixture. If you have enough wires you can rewire your set up to move a sw leg to your box.

Default sw leg

Not really. The pilot light bridges the two travelers, and when either switch is off, one is hot and one is a neutral in series with the light fixture, so either switch can have the pilot light. red means stop, green means go, and yellow means go faster.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

But if you connect the pilot light betwen the travellers, it will be in series with the fixture when the switches are "off". Thus both the pilot light and the fixture light will be half-on when the switches are in "off", and the pilot light will be off when the fixture light is on. I must be missing something.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    Does it matter what color light I use? i.e. is there some convention that say red only applies to boilers/ green to Christmas trees/ white to refrigerators?

Must be either pink or purple if used in a hall unless some other color is desired in which case any other color would be acceptacle as long as it is the color that you choose.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    But if you connect the pilot light betwen the travellers, it will be in series with the fixture when the switches are "off". Thus both the pilot light and the fixture light will be half-on when the switches are in "off", and the pilot light will be off when the fixture light is on. I must be missing something.
    I think I missed something too. I have been sitting here for hours waiting on this bus.