Water softer installation. Where?

Users who are viewing this thread

chinino

Reaction score
I want to install a water softerner. I can see the Shut-off valve going into my house. One problem is that it is located on the right front corner of the house. (I want to keep it out of view). The other is that the Sears installation guide does not recommend installing it outside due to the electronic components unless you build a cover or shed. If I install it inside my garage it will only soften the hot water and the cold water going to my two showers. All the other cold water will not be softened.
Do you recommed the installaton inside the garage or the one outside? And if I install it inside the garage will this be an acceptable installation?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
softener

What is usually done here is that the pipe going into the house is cut and the pipe from the house is capped. Then the line that did go to the house is routed back underground and is run to the proximity of the water heater. The softener is installed there with that line going to the "IN" port, and the "OUT" connects to the water heater's cold line between the wall and the heater's shutoff valve. This delivers softened water to the entire house by backfeeding the system. This often also puts the softener near the clothes washer which makes the drain a fairly simple operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks