1 pole, 2 wire or 2 pole 3 wire switch for water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

bigtime

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but...I am installing a disconnect on the water heater to turn it off when I am gone, which is about ALL the time. :) I thought I knew what I needed, a 30 amp switch. Sounds simple enough. The problem is this, I found a website that has 2 different 30A indoor switches. One is a 2 pole 3 wire and the other is single pole, 2 wire. Both with solid neutrals. The single pole, 2 wire is only 19.99 and the other is 31.99. They both say they are for water heaters. So which do I need???

Could someone also explain the difference? I am sure once its explained to me it will make sense, but right now its driving me insane! Thanks!!!:D

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't understand the 'solid neutral.' It is a code violation to switch neutrals (unless you are wiring a gas station).

What you need is a 2-pole 30a switch. Another term for it is a Double-pole single-throw.

Can you provide a link to this website your found?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The 19.99 one is fine.

wait...it's not

Although I have never seen one, it implies that it's a single pole (120v) switch.

The one next to it says unfused but the description says "cartrige fuses".

A pullout style is only 15 bucks but you can only enter it from the bottom portion.

Top left..AC disco

http://search.hardwarestore.com/?query=pullout disconnect&tId=257

Last edited:

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Their descriptions don't make sense. They say it's a 1-pole, but it's for 240 volts. 240 requires two poles in order to be a disconnect.

By the time you figure out what you want with an online store, plus pay shipping & handling, you could have it done if you buy locally. I'd say just head down to your local hardware store or home center and pick one off the shelf.

bigtime

Reaction score
I almost bought a 30A pullout style from my local hardware, but a switch style seems like the better way to go. No pullout thingy to lose. Sure you shouldn't lose it, but ya never know. The last thing I want to do is not be able to take a shower because the pullout I swore I left on top of the water heater has suddenly "walked off!"

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most pull-out style disconnects are made to accept the 'loose part' in an 'off' position. You just pull it out, turn it 180°, and reinsert it.

BTW, is turning off the breaker not an option? If you can do that, you'll save yourself the time & money to do this.

bigtime

Reaction score
Turning off the breaker is totally an option, its what I have been doing. I just remember reading on another forum that breakers are not meant to be used as switches and you will wear them out, etc. Not sure how true this is, its just what some internet "expert" said.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some breakers are rated to be used as switches. Can you provide the details on the brand and such? If nothing else, you may be able to replace the breaker with one that is switch rated.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Square D Homeline breakers are rated SWD for use as switches. If you can find those letters on the breaker, it's made to be switched. If not, just purchase a new on that is so marked.

bigtime

Reaction score
They sure are marked "SWD", I just ran down and checked. Thats what I will do then, just keep turning it off there. Thanks so much, saved money and learned something new. Thats a good day. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks