Load bearing wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I have 2x4 rafters running a span of 7’6†from the floor to the knee wall. The rafters were supported every other rafter at the knee wall. I plan to add 2x4s to fill in the rest. These would be 16†o.c.

The next span is from the knee wall to an existing wall that I would like to partially remove. This span is 8 feet. I’d like to move the wall in towards the peak of the roof about 4’6â€, but I’m concerned that the existing wall is load bearing. I would be removing about 5 studs from the wall.

The span from the wall I’d like to move and the peak is also 8’.

Any suggestions on how to properly support the roof when I remove this wall?

I’ve attached some pictures of the area. Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_3336.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 668

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I would get an engineer involved on this one...
Structural work is not something you want trusted to a bunch of strangers on the net...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have 2x4 rafters running a span of 7’6” from the floor to the knee wall ...
The next span is ... 8 feet. I’d like to move the wall ...
The span from the wall I’d like to move and the peak is also 8’.

Any suggestions on how to properly support the roof when I remove this wall?

I would probably sandwich the affected rafters with 2x6s from the knee wall to the new wall. If you now have 8'-spanned 2x4 rafters doing what they need to do, sandwiching them with 2x6s will certainly be more than enough to increase the 8' span by just over half.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
IF you're talking about the wall with a doorway in it, and the third pic is a closeup (no top plate, studs toe-nailed to the rafters, right about where the collar ties are attached... that definitely isn't load-bearing.

Counter-intuitive as it may seem, the load at that spot is acting the other way: not against gravity, but against the rafters spreading apart; collar ties are in tension.

If that doesn't make sense to you, call an engineer. A few hundred bucks will get you an answer you can be sure of.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Yes

That is the wall, and there is no top plate.

Makes sense that it isn't load bearing, but I think I'm going to sister 2x6s anyway to make room for more insulation. If it's overkill, great.

So, are you saying that there is no need for that wall, or the knee wall because the load on the rafters is pushing outward?

If that were true, and I took out both walls, the 24' span from floor to ridge 2x4s along with the collar ties would be sufficient to support the roof?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
So, are you saying that there is no need for that wall, or the knee wall because the load on the rafters is pushing outward?

If that were true, and I took out both walls, the 24' span from floor to ridge 2x4s along with the collar ties would be sufficient to support the roof?

I would repeat...
I would get an engineer involved on this one...
Structural work is not something you want trusted to a bunch of strangers on the net...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks