Identifying/Dating an Old Well

Users who are viewing this thread

shebbear

Reaction score
I need help figuring out if this is an old well, and if it is, what to do about it. How do I tell how old it is, and if it has been properly sealed off? How do I tell if there is still an old pump in it? Was this the base of a windmill or the floor of a well house, or???

The property on the edge of a small town in South Texas, in an area where there were some old houses that have been since torn down. The houses would have been some distance from this well, however. The house I am in was moved to the area. This well (?) does not appear on the survey of the property. It was hidden in tall weeds when I discovered it.

Please follow this link to see a photo.
http://kennedy.cartama.net/well.htm

R

Rancher

Try digging down in the center spot of grass.

It may have been the base for a flagpole, or an artillary emplacement, or one corner of a pole barn with no more pole.

Rancher

shebbear

Reaction score
More info

What I can tell you is that the concrete is about 5 ft square and the hole in the middle is exactly 2 ft across. Although the grass makes it difficult to see in the photo, the hole is a perfect circle and I can tell that the hole extends down (like a cylinder with smooth concrete sides) for at least 3-4 inches (that is as far as I felt with my hand).

A friend wants to stick a metal rod into the hole to see if it hits anything.

If you have any further ideas, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

R

Rancher

the hole is a perfect circle and I can tell that the hole extends down (like a cylinder with smooth concrete sides) for at least 3-4 inches (that is as far as I felt with my hand).
OK, that's more info, the concrete cylinder with smooth side indicate there was something in the concrete and has now been removed. Probably not a well casing. Use a post hole digger and dig down a few feet, but I would not expect you will find anything.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks