Adding Very Large Pressure Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

cockybull

Reaction score
Would it be possible to add a 4500gal pressure tank to my system? I currently have 2 80 gal tanks which give me about 20 gal of water with the booster pump set at 40/55psi. The pump currently runs only about a minute per cycle. If I put the 4500 gal tank in-line it would give me about 700gal of water under pressure, and with a digital pressure switch, I could set the cut in at 50psi and cutout at 55. Also, this pump is supplied by a 2500 gal tank feed by its own well pump. Would this work?

R

Rancher

Of course this will work, this is how municipality water systems are designed.

4,500 gallons of course is a real overkill, and a drawdown of 700 gallons is a bunch, but then you didn't tell us what you were trying to solve. Why change the pump pressure cycle to 50/55, if you want constant pressure use a pressure regulator.

And of course where are the CSV guys when you need them...

Rancher

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The only way you get 700 gallons of draw down from a 4500 gallon pressure tank is to use the full 40 to 60 bandwidth on the pressure switch. With only a 5 PSI differential you would only get about 175 gallons from the 4500 gallon tank. If cycling is your problem, then you need a Cycle Stop Valve. A 4500 gallon pressure tank that is up to code is probably going to cost around $10,000.00. It still won’t give you the constant pressure you would get from a $90.00 CSV.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
With large tanks you should have an air controls system so they operate with the same drawdown as a bladder tank.

With proper air charge for a 40 to 55 psi setting you should get about 20% drawdown, or about 32 gallons with 160 gallons of tanks. With a 4500 gallon tank that would be about 900 gallons of drawdown.

With a 50 to 55 psi setting your drawdown should be about 7% of the tank volume.

If you really need a lot of water at constant pressure, then you need to start with your requirements and get a system designed to deliver your needs. A 4500 gallon tank is probably not the best way to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks