(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Shower Drain Dilemma

Default Shower Drain Dilemma

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker. My name is Mike, semi-retired remodeling contractor up here in La Conner, WA where the daffodils are in full bloom and the tulips are about 10 days out.

Down to business. I am a moderator on a ceramic/natural stone tile forum: John Bridge.com. We have a member over there posting a shower drain problem requiring special consideration.

A second floor shower is being over 2X6 floor joists with ply sub-floor. Additionally there is plywood underneath those joists along with an exposed beam ceiling for the first floor. With only 5 1/2 clearance in these joists bays there is no clearance for the standard 2" drain and p-trap assembly. However there is room for the p-trap along with access to the drain/vent in a near wall 3 away because of a unique kitchen wall cabinet configuration down on the first floor.

This poses an interesting question with the goal in mind to plumb to UPC. Question is: In a situation like this could one run the shower drain tailpiece directly into a med. sweep 90. Then place the p-trap along with a cleanout 3 away?

The CO would be placed at least 6 above the flood level of the shower pan with an access panel to it on the other side of the wall. Drain to vent max. distance of 5 is met. 2 shower drain piping with sufficient fall along the horizontal tailpiece run. Would this fly? I think my AHJ might pass it but 'ol Scotty is pretty easy to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Did you look at one of the Wedi horizontal drains?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

No I haven't Jim. Never seen Wedi products up here in my neck of the wood. I'll do some Goolgle search work though and check it out.