Offset Toilet Flange Options

Users who are viewing this thread

rcblanchard

Reaction score
I recently had a bathroom remodeled and the new toilet I installed had a 12" rough in and is 2.5" away from the back wall. Because this is a fairly small bathroom, and it is next to a pedastal sink that is flush with the wall, the 2.5" inches really stands out. I've look into buying a 14" rough-in toilet, however, they don't have it in the toilet that we purchased (Kohlers Memoir Line).

We have cast iron plumbing - I was looking into two solutions

(1) a 2" cast iron offest toilet flange. I have two concerns with this option - I might lose suction power and the 2" flange looks complicated too install as it requires bonding "lead to lead" (excuse my ignorance here, I simply mean that it is not a bolt on solution but requires some sort of 'welding'). I have a contractor doing the installation, but not sure this is his expertise...

(2) a 1" cast iron offset toilet flange that is bolts around the existing pipe. This does not solve the entire problem, but gets the distance between the toilet and the wall to a manageable distance.

Are my concerns regarding loss of flusing power and difficutly in installing in scenario (1) valid? Any potential flushing or leaking issues with the more stadndard 1" offest flange described in scenario (2) above?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Craig

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a leaded joint. Basically the two pieces are installed, oakum (oiled hemp rope) is inserted into the gap and pounded down, then the rest is filled up with liquid lead, which solidifies and holds everything in place. Works well, lasts a long time. Now, as to offset flanges, I've heard less than complementary things about them. They'll work, but if your floor is open enough to install an offset flange, then it is probably open enough to move it so a regular one will work. An offset flange makes it harder to ever use a drain cleaning snake through that hole and is a potential source of clogs. See what the pros have to say...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
offset

If the offset flange has an oval opening, then it also has a "shelf" below the toilet's outlet that can cause problems. Cast iron flanges with the standard round opening require a shorter riser pipe and some expertise to make the lead joint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks