Outdoor Douglas Fir, need help with...

Users who are viewing this thread

I26

Reaction score
I used Douglas Fir to build a playset. I was told by alot of folks that if I treat it with a good wood preservative it should last a long time. You must remember this is not treated Douglas Fir. I used Olympic Tinted Sealer to seal it and it looked great for a few months and now its getting gray and streaky and simply put it looks bad. So was I misled in using Douglas Fir? What if I strip the stain and apply a Semi-Transparent Stain? Or shoud I start replacing boards with PT lumber? I was shying away from treated lumber due to the heavy metal content. I was not finding alternatives around here so I went with fir. Cedar was a ton more money and I simply don't like working with it. I did use it for some of the side rails though and they look good yet. So please share your thoughts and advice.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doug Fir is not a good wood for exposure to weather. I would have have used Redwood or Alaska Yellow Cedar. I realize your concern about cost, but if you want wood that will look good after exposure to weather, you pay the price.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A lot has to do with the grade of wood. Most likely you got something like "#2 or better", a typical construction grade. For outdoor decks, select quarter sawn fir would have been more appropriate. It would still need sealing, and is probably not the best choice for outdoor projects.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks