P trap installation trouble-HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

ejmasuda

Reaction score
Hi
Not much of a DIYer, but here goes:
trying to install new sink in upstairs bathroom. Old one had a semi-flexible rubber P trap. When I removed it I thought, no problem. I can replace this with chrome.
Not so. The stub-out(?) from the wall is roughly 1 1/2 to 2 inches long, and is 1 1/4 copper. It appears as though when installing the previous sink, the people just cut the pipe with a hacksaw as there are no threads on the pipe. A 1 1/4 compression seal is too small, a 1 1/2 is too large.
Do I have to solder on a new (coupling? I think is what it's called)? The wall is faux beadboard over plaster, and due to the proximity I am worried about blackening or even setting fire to the wall.
My wife is losing patience with me, and I am almost at the "Let's just phone a plumber" point.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Measure the OD of the copper stub out...
If is it 1 3/8", you have 1 1/4 copper plumbing "pipe" to tie into...
There is a solder-on connector to convert to the tubing size for ptraps..
You might want to consider hiring a plumber to do this as 1 1/4" brass W&V connectors are a little hard to solder with the typical homeowners' torch...
If you do want to try it, make sure you don't sear the wall - use a heat shield.
As well, make sure you have a MAPP torch instead of a propane one (more heat).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I am almost at the "Let's just phone a plumber" point.

you will probably save a lot of time, frustration, if not money if you succomb to that feeling and call a plumber.
progress.gif

KD

Reaction score
If you DIY , have a fire extinguisher handy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks