Portable Generator Grounding

Users who are viewing this thread

jdavis1137

Reaction score
I just purchased a Coleman Powermate portable generator,(5700 watts) for backup power for power outages. I also had a licensed electrician install a Emergen manual transfer switch to my existing house panel. The generator will be attached to the transfer switch with a Emergen power cord, 4 wire , 30 amp, L14-30 NEMA configuration. The generator instructions says something about grounding the generator. Isn't everthing already grounded thru the installation that the electrician did wiring up the transfer switch to my existing panel? It would be a major job to drive a 8 foot copper pole in the ground and attach a 12g grounding wire, as there is nothing close to ground to where my generator has to be located. I would really appreciate some information on this grounding situation as I want to be ready before the next storm. Thank you

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
You do not need a ground rod if your generator is not a SDS, (Separately Derived System) In order to know this, see if the neutral is switched in the transfer switch... (Highly Doubtful)

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
You do not need a ground rod if your generator is not a SDS, (Separately Derived System) In order to know this, see if the neutral is switched in the transfer switch... (Highly Doubtful)

I agree with Chris and will add;

If the grounded (neutral) conductor is not switched in the transfer switch then the bonding jumper in the generator will need to be remved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks