Floor Plans - What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'd like to see if anyone has any better ideas for a new floor plan. I've been mulling this one over for a while and want to make sure there isn't a better way. Here is the existing floor plan:

http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjamesnelson/BathroomProject/photo#5128063810074905362

Here is one of the new plans for a new bathroom and a walk-in closet (which makes the headboard space a little tight) This one would be accessible for both bedrooms from the common space.

http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjamesnelson/BathroomProject/photo#5128063810074905378

This is the other option I'm thinking about. A new closet with bi-fold closet doors and entry to the bathroom from the master bedroom only. No walk-in closet, which gives more headboard room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjamesnelson/BathroomProject/photo#5128063810074905394

I'd like to get people's feedback on these plans. Which do you think is better? I would think it would be better to have access to the bathroom from both bedrooms without walking through the master, but I also want to keep in mind resale value. Does the "Master Suite" sell the house?

Thanks!

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Can't

Can't do that. I'm dealing with a sloped ceiling and don't want to get into building a dormer. The ceiling height is marked toward the top of the plan.

Thanks

Jackie07

Reaction score
I know you probably have to have the plumbing where you show it now. But if that were not the case I would suggest putting the master closet where you are planning the bathroom. And converting both existing closets into a 3 compartment walk through bath. From each bedroom you would walk into a room with just a toilet and sink, then through to a shared tub/shower. Each compartment could be closed off from the other side when in use. I've seen variations of this where the sink/vanity was actually in the bedroom and the shared tub and toilet was in a walkthrough between the bedrooms. That way all bedrooms have easy access to plumbing but don't lose privacy. A master suite is nice but if you have two bedrooms upstairs and someone in the second room needs a toilet in the middle of the night they aren't going to go downstairs, they'll cut through the master suite to the nearest bathroom. If it is a shared bathroom accessible from the hall and the master you will still lose privacy especially if someone forgets to unlock a door, which will again cause people to have to walk around through the master.

Of course then you'd have to carve some space out of your foyer for closet space for the second bedroom. Perhaps in place of the new bi-fold door closet for the master you could move the second b-room door down and use that space for a nice sized closet for the second bedroom.

Last edited:

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Ceiling height is my main issue

This floor is the 2nd floor of a story and a half style house. The wall at the back of those closets is a 4' knee wall, which I didn't mark on the plans. Wouldn't work to put it over there. The existing layout is strange because the landing area is so large. That, and the ceiling height is the reason I bumped the shower out into the landing area. I just spent the day cursing plaster, lathe, and insulation (demo is done), so I guess I'm just looking to see what the votes are for master suite versus shared bathroom. We're planning to stay in the house for quite a while, so I'll probably just do what I want anyway. But I just wanted to get some outside opinions. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks