Thinset Thickness

Users who are viewing this thread

cjt

Reaction score
Hi,

I have installed cement board surrounding the tub/shower alcove and am in the process of using thinset to cover joints. I have a small area that need some levelling and am wondering how thick I can go with the thinset to even out the inconsistenices. Any thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hopefully, you're using the special alkalai resistant mesh tape on those joints. It is ususally easier to tape them when tiling, otherwise it is likely you'll end up with a hump. Finishing cbu in prep for tile is not like doing drywall, it doesn't have to look pretty. Most thinsets can go up to 1/4" in one app. A medium bed mortar (often called granite and marble mortar) can go up to around 1" or so, depends on the brand. Also, while it is very important to get full coverage when tiling a floor, one technique that can be used for walls is the 'spot' method. Bascially, depending on the size of the tile, you back butter it, then put big dabs of thinset in 'dots' symmetrically on it...then smush it on the wall until it is lined up where you want.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ANSI A118.3 defines the spot method of setting tile, and is an approved method. It is not applicable with some tile (such as transparent, translucent, or those subject to variations in color based on moisture), but is viable with many tile. It's still better to get your setting surface flat and true before you try to set the tile.

A medium bed mortar (often called granite and marble mortar) can go up to around 1" or so, depends on the brand.

And, John Whipple is saying the same thing about max depth of mortar as I. He just likes to throw more darts.

Thinset isn't really designed as a surface filler/flattening material - using it as such might lead to problems. A medium bed mortar, as long as the max thickness does not exceed the manufacturer's recommendation, should work without issues, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks