hanging a tv over a fireplace

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm going to be installing a tv over a fireplace. I've ripped out the drywall and will be installing additional support lumber as well as electrical and other cabling. I'd like to know if there are any special considerations for the wiring near the metal flu.

It turned out to be a good thing I ripped out the drywall. I found termites and will be having them treated to a special day at the spa - all the bug juice they can drink.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
If the fireplace is used you realize where the heat is going to go right? You'll end up with warped non-functioning pcb's inside the tv.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If flat panel, you will have a very expensive piece of plastic junk...
If non-flat panel style, that will be one heck of a pop-out to hold it...LOL

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you see a lot of TVs over fireplaces because most folks don't use the fireplace. It's a decorative thing mostly. Though I had a chimeny sweep argue that one with me. I guess he was trying to talk himself into a good business model.

I agree with the above about the heat.

Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tv

I personally would not want a tv mounted that high. Unless you have lounge chairs it will be uncomfortable bending your neck to look upwards.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I agree with HJ. Proper viewing should be just below eye level. I know a couple who have this up high setup and they want to change it, its annoying to be looking up..not natural.
my.02

Chris

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My daughter has a tv over the fireplace,
Very annoying.

However, for those that want to mount flat panels over the fireplace, they have mounting kits for that purpose.

Open up the wall, and put the proper amount of backing in.
While the wall is open, you can add wiring, you will need your cable hook up.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want to get fancy, you could use a motorized mount that would lower it to a pleasant height.

Backglass

Reaction score
I did this above our rarely used fireplace in our old house. It was your basic, cheap contractor "sheet metal w/firebrick facing" fireplace. I just made sure to fasten all the wiring to the studs as far from the chimney pipe as possible. I ran all the wiring to a nearby closet where all the equipment was (Satellite receiver, VCR, etc) and used a remote IR bug to control it all.

The view wasn't perfect and it did strain your neck a bit when watching TV, but we needed the space and the other wall would put the couch up against the fireplace. It sure did look good when you walked into the room though.

2732793h.jpg

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Another vote for "don't put it up there". IMHO it's not a comfortable place to view it (neck) and doesn't look that great from a decor point of view. But to each their own.

little buddy

Reaction score
Hanging T.V.

Hey Jeff,

Everyone's coments were very interesting, however, I have a couple of thoughts of my own. I have done this once in the past for a customer and am now in the process of doing it in my own home. If you're set in doing this and the other coments have you a little scared, I might sugest you consider a gas log insert. The way that I did the one in the past and the way I am doing mine is that I built an entertainment center about 12 ft. long with a 36 in. book case on each end. That left 6 ft. in the center for my 48 in. gas insert and 12 in. ceramic tile on both sides and above. Then I built in my 52 in. flatscreen directly above the mantel. It looks very nice and seems to be no problem. By using the insert there is no more mess and everything that goes with burning wood. I don't know what your age is, but I'm sure the time will come when you think GAS. Good luck, Jeff.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My sister has hers above the fireplace...it is a major pain to watch unless you are laying down on the couch. Why pay that much for a nice display, then make it hard to watch?

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We installed ours about 42 inches off the floor above a credenza. Would not want it any higher. Our viewing distance is from 10 to 30 feet.

I have been in room where it was above the fireplace, and viewed from about 12 feet or less. Major pain in the neck.

Jeff1

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'm looking at the mounting height as well as all the other heat related issues. I have the classic problem of no other place to mount the tv - over a window or on the ceiling would be my other options. The plan is like little buddy's entertainment system. I'll try to post some pics as things progress.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would engineer myself (or find somewhere) a mechanism that would mount fully concealed behind the TV when in the elevated position, but that would swing down to put the TV at the correct height in front of the fireplace when I want to view it.

The device is designed to allow some tilt and pivoting so the TV can be "square on" in either viewing position, but essentially flat against the wall when stored.

Patent (being) applied for.

Sofa King

Reaction score
Iffin your gonna use the fireplace turn it on or fire it up, and place a thermometer at the lowest point of the tv. 104 or lower will work fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks