(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wiring a Spa. Do I use #8 awg or 6/3 romex slimpull ?

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    The art of electrical installations involve a lot more than twisting wires together.
    Good one! You should copyright that!
    Just my 2 worth.

334.12 But you will need a code book to read it

I think we have one in the office.

Can you cite the exception to this rule? EVERY residential roof top unit in AZ (and I am assuming elsewhere) has sleeved NM. Have all the inspectors overlooked this........ forever?

NM HAS to be allowed in exterior sleeves. I have done it thousands of times and have had it inspected countless times. Somebody somewhere would have caught it. When doing service changes or adding circuits the NM is generally sleeved. They don't consider it "conduit" if it is a sleeve.

Bender. Get a "hub" to fit the top of the panel. It has threads to accept your conduit connector. Make it plumb and strap it appropriately. To ME, PVC looks like homeowner work but apparently it is done a lot. I would use EMT to make it really clean. The PVC tends to warp and bow.
    Last edited by Alectrician; 11-05-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alectrician View Post
    Can you cite the exception to this rule? EVERY residential roof top unit in AZ (and I am assuming elsewhere) has sleeved NM. Have all the inspectors overlooked this........ forever?

NM HAS to be allowed in exterior sleeves. I have done it thousands of times and have had it inspected countless times. Somebody somewhere would have caught it.
    This is being clarified in the '08 NEC:
    300.5(B) Wet Locations. The interior of enclosures or raceways installed underground shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in these enclosures or raceways in underground installations shall be listed for use in wet locations and shall comply with 310.8(C)...."

So this reads that if the raceway is above grade, it is not in a wet location.
    Just my 2 worth.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alectrician View Post
    Can you cite the exception to this rule?
    Location, Wet. Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

There is no exception.

310.8(C) Wet Locations. Insulated conductors and cables used in wet locations shall be
    (1) Moisture-impervious metal-sheathed;
    (2) Types MTW, RHW, RHW-2, TW, THW, THW-2, THHW, THHW-2, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW, XHHW-2, ZW; or
    (3) Of a type listed for use in wet locations.

The conductors in NM cable have no type marking on them therefore they are not one of these.

So did this last disagreement get settled? It is the only question left for my own, similar, spa installation.

Can I run the last few feet of NM type cable in Schedule 40 PVC conduit to my Spa Sub Panel?

Jim

Technically your not supposed to. NM is not considered waterproof and conduit exposed to rain is considered a wet location.

-rick

Default OK, how about another "romex" question...

So I have read this post over and over several times but still have this question...

I assume from the information in this post that I can use 6/3 NM from my garage panel to the spa GFCI sub panel (a long attic run).
    However the 'romex' style wire that I see everywhere (Home Depot / Lowes) that everyone is calling "6/3 Romex" has a 6 AWG Black, a 6 AWG White, and a 6 AWG Red wire, but the ground is not insulated (well, paper wrapped) and is only a solid (not stranded) 10 AWG.
    Is that wire acceptable between the panels? Or do I truly need a wire that has four 6 AWG conductors and all separately insulated (RED, Black, Green, and White)?

Keep in mind that my spa requires only a 3 wire connection from the sub panel, 2 hots and a ground (Red, Black, and Green - those will be 3 independent 6 AWG wires through 1" PVC from the Spa-GFCI Panel to the equipment).

I think I'm asking the question right.

Your ground definitely needs to be insulated by code. And remember that the NEC requires a manual disconnect at least 5 feet away, and within line of sight. As for the number of conductors you need, are you sure you don't need 3 conductors and a ground? What model is your spa?
    Last edited by lilricky; 07-09-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

In a one family dwelling setting, the interior portion of the wiring CAN be NM cable. ALL of the outside portion of this circuit must be insulated conductors in conduit.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Your ground definitely needs to be insulated by code. And remember that the NEC requires a manual disconnect at least 5 feet away, and within line of sight. As for the number of conductors you need, are you sure you don't need 3 conductors and a ground? What model is your spa?
    The emergency shut off is not required in single family dwellings. NEC 680.41

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    The emergency shut off is not required in single family dwellings. NEC 680.41
    He didn't say emergencey shut off, he said disconnect. Two distinctly different things.
    A service disconnect IS required.

The emergency shut off you are referring to is also required to be not less than 5' away. (NEC 680.41)
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Five oclock rush hour traffic and what do I see? A blind man helping another blind man cross an intersection.

What do you think Petey? Does some of the post in this thread remind you of something like that?

Five oclock rush hour traffic and what do I see? A blind man helping another blind man cross an intersection.

What do you think Petey? Does some of the post in this thread remind you of something like that?
    Yup, sometimes.

At least no one here is recommending solving the problems with resistors, a switch wired in series with a load and a 100 watt light bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    At least no one here is recommending solving the problems with resistors, a switch wired in series with a load and a 100 watt light bulb.
    Don't get me started.