Price Pfister faucet conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianL

Reaction score
OK, bought a PF 01.801 tub and shower 3 valve diverter. Oops, in the mean time decided to junk the tub and go for a shower. Can I remove the diverter valve and put a plug in that hole and the tub filler hole? ie - convert this body into a shower-only body?

I'm asking because I bought it on sale, ~2 years ago and doubt I can return it now.

THanks!!

--Brian

Attachments

• tub1.jpg
    tub1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,455
  • tub2.jpg
    tub2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5,725

BrianL

Reaction score
Darn, does that mean these should be thrown out? I dont know exactly what a pressure balanced shower valve is, but this 15 year old house certainly does not have one, and i have had no issues with the shower.

Short of buying new, can I just plug off those open holes? It is brand new, and bought just a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

--Brian

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
fill it full of Silicone and see what happens

Yes ....just get a big wad of silicone and fill that
center hole up with it,,, that should hold er ...

Just kidding.....

Throw that Price Fister faucet away....

its no good to you....

get a Delta pressure balanced one
and cut your losses

Last edited:

BrianL

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your responses, I really do appreciate it.

I guess my hesitation is that I have this same setup (although used it with a tub/shower) in another home (bought 3 sets at the same time), and it works great. Can I put in a plug? I have a shower-only version and it has a hole in the bottom of the valve body that would go to a tub filler, and it just has a brass plug in it.

Thanks again, I hope I am not coming across as a pain, just hate to throw away something that seems like it should work.

--Brian

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can plug the outlet to the tub, but I have never seen a plug to plug the stem. It is not any kind of thread for which you would find a plug. You could have a maching shop make one.

The best advice is already given....use a single handle. There are trim plates available to cover up the extra holes in the wall if necessary.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
National code requires all shower valves to be anti-scald. The most common ones are pressure balanced valves. This will adjust the flow if, say, someone flushes a toilet. IT will prevent you from getting a super hot flash of hot water that could cause an accident. If the job is being inspected, the inspector will fail it and you'll have to replace it anyways. The only other type of valve that is allowable is a temperature controlled valve that may have some of the same features, but adds the ability to adjust the temp and then maintain it regardless of what happens (except of course, running out of hot!). It could be an issue when you try to sell the house as well if you don't have one to current code.

BrianL

Reaction score
OK, OK, OK. You've convinced me. I just thought it was odd that this same setup has never been an issue (too hot of water, change in pressure, etc). Maybe because I have a pressure regulator on the incoming water line from the main?

I will go get the delta 1700 like everyone else and live happily ever after!

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your time.

--Brian

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the house has adequate pressure and volume and the pipe sizing is done well, you may not notice a change in flow rates when something else is turned on. This is a precaution, sort of like an airbag. You may or may not ever need it, but it can help prevent injury if it is there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks