help! we need a good showerhead!

Users who are viewing this thread

raygunclan

Reaction score
hello!
we are remodeling the bathroom upstairs in our 1925 home. we just replaced the original toilet (YIKES!) and original sink, but are searching for a good showerhead. we don't get great water pressure and we are a family with 3 daughters, all with VERY thick hair, so great water pressure is essential.
i've browsed through this year's posts and haven't found any suggestions.
and for what its worth, my conscience WILL allow me to purchase a product from another country if it will help relieve the voices in my head yelling "hurry up in the shower" that i even hear in my sleep!!!
thanks so much for the responses!
suzanne

ps. i installed toto products (the promenade line) based on terry's recommendations. thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Federal regs require any showerhead sold in the USA to use no more than 2.5gpm at (I think) 60psi. That being said, some of them achieve this flow rate with a removeable restrictor, but some of them need judicious drilling to increase it. Personally, I've not had a problem with what I have. Admittedly, it isn't as piercing as way back in the old days.

Do you know what your pressure is? Any idea what flow rate the valve has (it is almost certainly greater than 2.5, but we've had some people here where it wasn't because of old corroded galvanized supply lines).

Sparkman gets some good reviews (not sure if I've ever taken a shower with one at a hotel); I've got a Grohe variable spray head. The Grohe is okay for me, but it's been awhile since I had something to compare it to. See what other comments you get.

CHH

Reaction score
The number is 978 555 1212. Tell Al to keep trying since he's rarely home.

theelviscerator

Reaction score
btw I tested it without the restrictor, its 2 gals a minute!

I think they test at the max pressure which folks on wells NEVER see.

raygunclan

Reaction score
i was thinking (something that doesn't happen often) about buying a showerhead on **** from another country. i wonder if there are water restrictors on showerheads from the uk or canada. sadly, i'm just not bright enough to purchase from japan or germany, or even mexico.

jadnashua- we have a speakman in our downstairs bathroom, but i was hoping for some insight on something different. who knows, maybe it is my best option.

and jimbo- it might be an "inconvenient truth", but i've got to have good water pressure! :D when al stops using his jets and turns off some of his lights he can call me. until then...

and i HATE those shower heads that turn the water to a forceful mist that feels like needles and takes a full 4 minutes to wet my hair!!!

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Speakman is the manufacturer of showerheads you might want, if old-fashioned heavy brass construction is what you're looking for. If pressure is really low, a massager showerhead could be what you'll prefer. More water bang for the buck.

cwtx

Reaction score
Showerhead, Valve size

We just remodeled our bathrooms. One has a JAC "Speakman style" showerhead and it has good flow, even with the restrictor. In the other bathroom we reused an old Grohe showerhead. However, even though we have 1/2 inch water supply, we installed a 3/4 inch valve in that bathroom. We also went with separate Grohe valves for flow control and temperature control, instead of the single pressure-balancing valve. Those changes really increased the flow through the Grohe showerhead, compared to what it was before.

Last edited:

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
I installed a Moen "Monticello" shower head about 18 months ago in a master BR shower. It had a small "O" ring at the inlet to the shower head. Removed it and now have a great shower head with awesome flow. Let's us take a shower in half the time as with the restriction.
Gary

raygunclan

Reaction score
ain't that the way, gary. these water restrictors make us end up spending more water just trying to get wet! its the same with the toilets. we end up having to flush twice (although, not since we installed the toto!) and use more water!
thanks!

AlwaysInHotWater

Reaction score
Try Neatitems.com. I live in Mexico and have very little water pressure. The heads I've purchased from them and brought down here are great.

fawcettwiz

Reaction score
Speakman is good. I would also recommend using the Kohler City Club Shower head, the Moen Moenflo XL shower head, or the Hansgrohe Retroaktiv 2-jet shower head. All of these conform to the 2.5 gpm that is required by law (plus with a bunch of girls you don't want to run out of hot water too fast so this restriction is actually a plus for you) and they can still get the shampoo and conditioner out of my thick curly hair.

Sofa King

Reaction score
I just bought 2 Grohe Movaro shower heads. It's integrated arm & head w five spray patterns! Count em five! Normal spray,rain spray,jet spray (when I'm feelin sporty),massage spray and champagne spray. Will be installed Monday or Tuesday.

Iffin it's grohe its gottsta be good!
Sofa King fresh and so clean!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks