Wet Bar, Flotec Laundry Tray System and a vent issue

Users who are viewing this thread

GeoJoe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've searched this issue but still can't seem to find a solid answer. I have a contractor who has finished my basement. His plumber installed a wet bar island with Flotec Laundry Tray system. I'm wondering about the venting of this pump.

The plumber tells me to install a Studor vent on this pump. However, when the Studor vent is attached, the sink doesn't drain. As soon as I unscrew the Studor vent, the air from within the Flotec box is released and the water drains from the sink - and then the pump finally turns on. Unfortunately, a small spray of water also comes out of this vent hole.

I understand that the Studor vent is one way. I'm wondering how air is supposed to escape as water drains into the pump with this vent attached? Is there a different type of air addmitance valve that I should be using? This is only a small sink with limited use.

There is a p-trap installed - should there be?

Finally, I realize that the optimum situation is to vent this pump to open air outside. This is an island wet bar with no vent close by. Also, all the sheet rock is up and tile is in.

This is in Gwinnett County, GA. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
According to the installation instructions, the tank is to be vented to the sewage vent system:
http://www.pumpbiz.com/omi_files/Flotec_FPOS1800LTS.pdf
Doing that will relieve the pressure in the tank while it is being filled as well as letting air in while it is being drained ... and yes, you should have a P-trap under the sink. Even gray water can smell badly while there in that tank, and the absence of a P-trap would leave your sink drain open to sewer odor after the tank has been properly vented.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I installed a few of those. You need a "P" trap and if you try a mechanical vent It will do what your saying.

GeoJoe

Reaction score
The contractor bought the Flotec pump for the plumber to install. Supposedly this is one of hundreds that they have installed. Obviously not, as they didn't run a vent. Idiots. They could have easily run the vent before they installed the drywall.

Anyway, what about this option instead of the Flotec?

http://hartell.thomasnet.com/item/waste-water-pumps/lta-series-pumps/pn-1078?&forward=1

Has anyone installed these Hartell LTA-1 pumps? It states on their website that no vent is required.

I told the contractor he has two options. 1) rip out the drywall enough to install the vent...

or 2) buy me one of these "ventless" pumps

Thanks all for the advice...

Joe

Speedbump

Reaction score
Wow, a plastic pump with a washing machine motor bolted to the bottom for ONLY $325.00? I think there are better options out there. Ask one of the guys who does this type of work. Where's Zoellerpump when we need him?

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks