Baseboard rules of thumb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I will install new baseboards in a bathroom remodel project. The plan is to use a built-up design including painted S4S pine as the base, with a base cap on top of the S4S.

Question: My door casing is about 9/16" thick. Am I making a trim carpentry faux pas by using the heavy S4S base? I may have to bevel or chamfer the raw end of the base where it meets the door casing, to give a finished look. Anyone seea problem with this plan? Thanks for any comments.

little buddy

Reaction score
baseboard

I, like to use a different method when cutting baseboard. I'm not sure what it's call, but it's real simple once you figure it out. Put a long piece of baseboard on the right side of the blade and make a right 45 off the left end of the board then take another piece of baseboard, place it on the left side of the blade and make a left 45 off the right end of the board. Then make a 90 across the short end of the miter so you'll end up with just a little piece of baseboard that should fit in the piece that you just installed. This makes it look like the baseboard rounds the corner and gives a real nice finished look. If this is as clear as mud, maybe someone else could explain it a little better or just ask around. This is truly the best way.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
It's called a return.

If you go to JLC Online forum, look at the picture galleries:

http://forums.jlconline.com/photos/index.php?cat=7

there's a lot of close-ups of trim work.

If you do a search in the forums, you'll find more explanations, and probably some pics...

Warning: do not post there, it's not a DIY-friendly forum. Their policy is "pro only", and they mean it. It's enforced by rudeness, flaming, sarcasm, and general nastiness...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks