New posters who cut and run

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If there are a few you want me to contact, I can email them and ask how things have gone. It is nice when we hear back from them.

I also know that there are plenty of folks that learn from the examples here. So even if we don't get feedback, it's helping.

My brother in Hoquiam, wanting to find out about Moen repair, did a web search, looked at the page he was reading, and found he was on this site. It's all good.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I've been an avid DIYer for more than 50 years. For the past nine years (since I got my first computer), one of my favorite hobbies has been "avidly" participating...and constantly learning...on various DIY websites as a member or moderator. (Based on the posting records kept by the various sites, I have a total more than 14,000 DIY posts now. Some of them may actually be right...who knows? LOL)
This is one of the better sites, and the people coming here are no different than any of the other sites that I visit.
Most people will thank those that help them. Some don't. Way of the world.
Mike

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is hard to say. Being a DIYer some people who reply can be very condescending while others are more than helpful. I'd like to see if the cut and runners are the ones who are assaulted by the "better hire a pro" routine verses the folks who are willing to try and help the person.

The rule of thumb with most DIY boards I frequent is that if the resident "pros" are too full of themselves they scare of the newbies to a place where they will get help.

With that being said, this place is at the end of the spectrum where there is more help than hurt... and that, obviously bodes well for Terry. Other forums, say like one with four letters. ;) -- and is associated with an online store, isn't very good. They love to talk-down and not really help. The best help I've gotten there is when I pose questions in a way that makes me sound like I ran into a stupid DIYer and what do you think he should do, etc. It gets tiring... so I come here. Here there are about 3 or 4 people who I dread a reply from... and the rest are pretty amazing people who give of themselves with little in return.

Hey. You asked. :D

Jackie07

Reaction score
Funny, I posted a question here about a week ago and got a few good responses but I have a kid who doesn't like to share the computer with his mom so I've been thinking for the past couple of days that I had to remember Saturday morning while the kid was asleep to hurry up and get in here to let those guys who responded to me know what my solution turned out to be. I almost forgot and here it is afternoon and I'm just getting to it. So, some of those newbies, like me, may just not have the opportunity for awhile, or they gave up and hired a pro and they're just too ashamed to show their faces...:D.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
newbies

There is nothing wrong with having apro fix anyones problem.That is what we
are here for.If may be beyound someones expirance tohirea pro might
save them money and time in the long run.Ihope that some of the advice
that I dispensed has been helpful.
Clay

Jackie07

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with having apro fix anyones problem.That is what we
are here for.If may be beyound someones expirance tohirea pro might
save them money and time in the long run.Ihope that some of the advice
that I dispensed has been helpful.
Clay

I was just making a joke, thus the grin. I know there is nothing wrong with hiring a pro. Both of my parents were/are plumbers so I can appreciate professionals from both sides of the coin. Unfortunately neither was available to advise me or I would have asked them for advice.

JeffH

Reaction score
Not a clue to what you're saying

Is it just me or has there been an increase of new posters who pose a question, but then never respond back when we attempt to help them?

This has happened to me several times in recent weeks. In each case, I gave my best guess as to what was happening and what to do, but never heard back from them. Very frustrating!

I now see the wisdom in what some old hands around here have been doing - asking for more info before spending a lot of time responding. It's a good strategy - let's the new poster ante up a little more of their time and effort before we invest much time.

Too bad we have to do that...

Are you getting paid for all this "help" you're "giving". Giving without expectations for something in return is true giving. I think it's great that folks have a decent and honest place to pose questions without strings attached or feeling belittled. Isn't that what makes this place special?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Are you getting paid for all this "help" you're "giving". Giving without expectations for something in return is true giving. I think it's great that folks have a decent and honest place to pose questions without strings attached or feeling belittled. Isn't that what makes this place special?

I completely agree! This is a unique place - very helpful, usually very supportive experts and DIY'ers, and a much higher level of discussion than the vast majority of similar sites.

I guess what I'm talking about are the situations where someone posts a question, we give what should be a helpful response, and ask for more info - then it never comes. It's frankly more puzzling than annoying to me - if the original poster takes the time to register for the site and post the question, and gets an automatic notification of a reply, seems that they would touch base. (Unless, like some of the posts above suggest, they have already gotten an answer elsewhere...)

frankthetank

Reaction score
I think this site is great an appreciate the help people give out. I still click in here time an again, but since i'm no pro, i don't really have much to add. I think as more people learn how to use the search function (good idea with any forum) less people will have to bother the "pros" !!! :)

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I dont think I am a new poster but a poster who cant really give much back either. I always feel alittle bad to post my problems without giving some input back but I usually chime in and give my input whenever I can.
I am very appreciative for everyone who responds to my posts regarding my master bath project.
This forum has saved my butt from making some stupid decisions and most of all saved me money!

Chris

LeBlanc

Reaction score
As a person new to this forum, I must first say it is a lot more responsive than others I've visited. Thank you to everyone who has provided input regarding the issues I've posted. I've also learned from the postings in response to other people.

I have a lot of plumbing work to do in our cottage, and it's likely I won't begin until early Spring. So, until then I'm getting all of the info I can, I'm buying supplies, and I'll keep being thankful for the advice.

This PEX stuff seems too good to be true regarding service life and its resitance to freezing, and it's likely I'll use it everywhere I can. One thing I did notice on another site, however, is that you cannot let it become exposed to sunlight or it will deteriorate. How about indirect lighting from a bulb? Can it be painted to keep it from falling apart?

Ooops! I forgot this post was only to discuss feedback to those who have asked questions. I'll put these q's in another one of Terry's forums.

In closing, my Mom always taught me to say thanks. While I probably forgot a few times, I'll try to not let that happen here.

Richard

Alleycat

Reaction score
To all of you who have answered my posts, if I didn't always thank you, well THANK YOU!! My guess is that we all don't always post responses for a variety of the reasons mentioned, but this cracked me up...

I think a lot of them are embarassed when they see how easy the solution was and they had not even tried it before writing, that they just want to disappear.

...because my last post was a kind of frantic "help!! How do I find the leak coming out of the basement ceiling?? I think it's the washer or something...." I ran around with a measuring tape trying to determine where it was coming from, then pulled all the insulation out of the ceiling trying to trace the path of the water to an appliance or fixture. After a few hours, it just stopped. Well, two days later I discovered that a gallon jug of spring water I had on the floor of the laundry room had suffered a tiny puncture hole and leaked through the baseboard into the basement. I was way too embarassed to post THAT, but now I guess I must confess!

This site is a great resource tho, and I am very grateful to all who answer my silly questions. I'll try to make sure to give updates from now on.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm outta here!

.... outtahere.gif

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by hj
I think a lot of them are embarassed when they see how easy the solution was and they had not even tried it before writing, that they just want to disappear.

I know I get that response from my day to day customers when I go looking to get paid. I love when they say "Well I could have done that".

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Is it just me or ...
I now see the wisdom in what some old hands around here have been doing - asking for more info before .....
Phoney shilling for a site or product. This has happened here with brand new folk telling tall tales about their showers they want to build. In some cases.

It's a different topic, but you reminded me of it when you talked about them cutting and running.

Thank you Steve for raising this.

David

Montalvo

Reaction score
Hey, guys, don't stop posting...you're needed!

I just posted an update to my problems with a boiler installation. I've found your advice to be invaluable! It's unfortunate that posters don't demonstrate their appreciation for your FREE assistance by at least letting you know the outcome and I can fully understand much of the discontent with the post-and-go crowd. But your providing a tremendous service that is undoubtedly appreciated even by those rude folks who fail to respond to your posted advice.

Many thanks again!

Bob

Fubar411

Reaction score
As a someone new to posting, I'll admit that I absolutely stink at plumbing. I am much more comfortable working with electricity, even though I jockey a desk 9 - 5.

That said, we can't all be masters of all the trades and I will most likely never be the go-to guy for plumbing ?s. However, when people take the time to sort through what the NB is really asking, it is good when they post pictures and thank them.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I don't think any one wants thanks.
What is needed is updates on the problem as to what happened and if something said here worked.
We are all trying to learn something, that's why i come to this site to read posts and get educated and if i know something i will try to help.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't think any one wants thanks.
What is needed is updates on the problem as to what happened and if something said here worked.
We are all trying to learn something, that's why i come to this site to read posts and get educated and if i know something i will try to help.

I agree. It's certainly nice when someone takes the time to say, "Thanks!", but the real payoff for the forum as a whole is to supply some outcome information.

Thinking about future info seekers who do a search, it's really frustrating for them to pull up what sounds like a really relevant thread only to find it's a dead end with no final outcome.

It also helps each of us individually to calibrate our advice - if you don't get feedback about whether your advice was helpful, you don't know what to tell the next person.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks