Bosch diswasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Gfe76

Reaction score
Model #SHV66A03UC/14
About 4 yrs old. Will not pump all the water out the bottom.
thanks for help.

jerzeegirl

Reaction score
I am neither an expert nor a plumber

but I am a Bosch dishwasher owner and recently had the very same problem. My dishwasher is about 6 years old. The pump had to be replaced and it cost about $200. The repairman also recommended that we run a special dishwasher cleaner through the system every once in a while. It bought this dishwasher cleaner product at Lowe's.

bosch-water-connect.jpg

bosch-drain-2.jpg

bosch-plug-in.jpg

Gfe76

Reaction score
but why would the pump operate and remove most of the water, but not the last bit....seems strange.
Installed next to sink. thought it might be kink in drain hose,filter clogged, air gap problem (but, don't know how to check that).
Kitchen sink drains well. thanks

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely causes are a clogged dishwasher drain hose or a siezed garbage disposal.

Remove the drain hose from the garbage disposal nipple (if you have one) or the branched tee, and remove any debris.

Repair garbage disposal if siezed.

jerzeegirl

Reaction score
I should have asked how much water and where it is located......

Is the water you are talking about in the filter well? If so, then it is normal. I always have a little bit of water in the filter well that remains there constantly. When I first got the dishwasher I called because I thought it was abnormal, but Bosch told me it wasn't.

Gfe76

Reaction score
disposal works fine.
the water is only in the filter well, so I guess that is "normal", but seems that would be a bad design defect.....stale, smelly, bacteria laden water. thanks for all replies.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hopefully, after the rinse cycle, any water left in the thing would be fairly clean!

jerzeegirl

Reaction score
Follow up

I know it just doesn't seem right to have water there but it's there for a reason. The water apparently lubricates the rubber seals in the unit and pump. I read somewhere that if you are going to be away for several months, you should pour an ounce of cooking oil into the standing water to keep the water from evaporating. This prevents the rubber parts from drying out and shrinking while the dishwasher is not being used. I have never done this so I don't know if it's true, but it sounds like it would work.

Gfe76

Reaction score
jerzeegirl was right. (don't you just hate it when women are right?) :)
bosch says that is normal. thanks for the discussion and insight...this is a great forum..I check it a lot....now if I could just learn to put this knowledge to use!

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The newer dishwashers have a turbidity sensor that the auto-wash cycle uses to see how much guck is in the water. If the water looks clean, the wash cycle will cut short.

The sensor must not regulary dry off, otherwise a hard-water film will rapidly form and the optical sensor will not function. Therefore the sensor is placed somewhere low in the sump and a certain amount of water is left in the DW to cover it.

I bought a new DW 8 month ago and had to go through this voyage of discovery myself. I read up on the sensor at Honeywell's web site.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on how much water you are seeing, as to whether it's normal or not.

I have a 3-year-old Bosch dishwasher and have never seen standing water in the bottom. On the other hand, if I take off the stainless steel filter in the bottom, I can see maybe 1/2 cup of water in the sump of the machine (which could certainly be there to keep the optical sensor and seals wet).

If you have smelly standing water, visible in the bottom of the unit with the filter in place, I would say this is NOT normal. Suggests to me that you have some sort of obstruction in the outflow, as has been mentioned in the posts above.

Gfe76

Reaction score
SteveW, only water standing is small amount under flate stainless screen....so this is normal. thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

When the water drains the hose fills with water. Most DWs have a check valve at the pump to keep the water in the hose. If it gets dirty, then the excess water in the elevated portion of the hose will drain back into the DW. If there is enough water in that portion of the hose it will appear in the bottom of the DW.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
SteveW, only water standing is small amount under flate stainless screen....so this is normal. thanks

Good!

I wonder why DW manufacturers don't tell us that this is normal in the instructions. Would save them a lot of phone calls, I would think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks