Leaky toilet: I think I installed it wrong, HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Deathlok

Reaction score
OK, I got my new TOTO "Drake" toilet. I installed it , but there are leaks from the 2 bolts in the tanks & 1 of the contact points where the tank meets the bowl behind the toilet seat.

Is there pictures showing how the bolts/washers should look like when installed properly?

I am thinking I am going to have to remove the tank from the bowl & remove the bowl from the floor & get a new wax ring.

Also, how do you take out the old bolts that stick out of the floor? The current ones barely poke out of the holes in the bowl once on the floor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake_sand_bolt3.jpg

I sand the inside of the tank before I drop the bolts through.

Instructions here

Removing the floor bolts depends on what you have holding them.
Most flanges have slots or notches for new closet bolts.
When we install, it's new wax, new bolts and new supply tube.

Deathlok

Reaction score
When I connect the tank to the bowl, do I have to put the rubber washer in 1st, or the metal one? Right now the metal one is in 1st ( touching the tank).

Deathlok

Reaction score
Should use rubber on the fixtures only. Metal could cause crack.

yes, but the diagram in the instructions shows the metal washer goes in 1st. Anyways, I switched their positions. The rubber washer (in the tank) is contacting the tank, then the metal washer on top so prevent the metal screw from smashing down too hard on the rubber washer. On the bottom of the tank, there is a metal washer. No rubber one was included.

The leaks from these 2 areas seem to have stopped. BUT there is still a leak from the tank area directly behind the toilet seat.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
How many bolts 2 or 3?
Is there a gray donut or black rubber between the tank and bowl?

You need to make sure you crank the bolts down at the same time. First one side a few turn then the other and back and forth till it is tight.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
You have the 2" pipe that comes out of the tank into the bowl. There needs to be a gasket on it. If it is not on right it will leak when you flush. If the fat nut on it is not tight it will leak.

Deathlok

Reaction score
You have the 2" pipe that comes out of the tank into the bowl. There needs to be a gasket on it. If it is not on right it will leak when you flush. If the fat nut on it is not tight it will leak.
You mean the pipe that connects to the water supply out of the wall?

Last edited:

Deathlok

Reaction score
Ok, now when I flush the toilet, water comes rushing out from the tank in the area behind the toilet seat. Does this mean the tank is not making proper contact with the bowl?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, he means the large rubber gasket that fits on the big pipe stub on the bottom of the tank. It fits into the hole on top of the bowl. The two bolts should be tightened alternating from one to the other to pull that gasket into the bowl. They do not have to be torqued super tight, just evenly until both are snug.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The rubber donut fits on the bottom of the tank, fully seated around the nub sticking out with the tapered side away from the tank, That sits in the hole in the bowl. When you sit the tank on the bowl, get each of the bolts started, the bowl level and each side hand tight. Then, maybe a turn or so at a time, alternate sides until it is almost touching the bowl and still move ever so slightly. You don't want it tight, but it can be almost touching (well, it can touch, but the difference between touching and too tight means it is better to get it so it is almost tight). If you do that and the nut holding the seat on the bottom of the tank is tight, it should not leak. If you don't have the soft rubber donut on right, or the assembly it sits on is loose, it can still leak.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Let's go back to the washers, because I'm not sure that came out right.

There are NO METAL WASHERS ...INSIDE... the tank. You put a rubber washer on the bolt, and stick it though the hole. Then a rubber washer, then a metal washer, then the nut. If you have a metal washer inside the tank in any way, this is a potential leak.

Deathlok

Reaction score
Ok, there are 4 metal washers & only 2 rubber washers that came with the toilet, thats why I did what I did.

I think the rubber dough nut is not on properly, hence the cascading water! :eek:

Deathlok

Reaction score
WOOHOO.... I removed the tank from the bowl. I used the good advise in this thread to re-install it. I mounted the tank onto the bowl, then put in the bolts, catching each side but NOT tightening them. I have a RUBBER washer on the inside & outside of the tank around each bolt, the metal washers are found ONLY on the outside (bottom) & each 1 has a rubber washer over it.

I tightened each bolt 1 turn, alternating to each side. I attached the water supply & tested it.

WOOHOO

SO far, no leaks!:D

Thanks to all. I am still going to remove the entire toilet to put in the new bolts in the ground that hold the bowl. The current ones barely clear the bowl.

But at least I know how to do it properly now. Thanks to all!

;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you use all four nuts, four washers and two bolts to mount the tank,

Put the rubber washer on the brass bolt.
Drop the bolt through the hole on the inside of the tank.
On the lower end of the tank, slip a washer, then a nut, and snug down.
Now the tank can be set on the bowl, using the next set of washers and nuts.

On the Drake, no metal washer will be inside the tank.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Deathlock said:
But at least I know how to do it properly now.

You haven't convinced me. Here's the proper order of materials:

1. Brass bolt.
2. Rubber washer.
3. Tank china.
4. Space.
5. Bowl china.
6. Rubber washer.
7. Brass washer.
8. Brass nut.

Except the way I do it with a good tank to bowl set is:

1. Brass bolt.
2. Rubber washer.
3. Tank china
4. Brass washer.
5. Brass nut.
6. Space.
7. Bowl china.
8. Rubber washer.
9. Brass washer.
10. Brass nut.

The purpose of securing the bolts to the tank first are to make it more secure and to allow you to remove the tank at a later date even if it has a little bit of water in it. You should have this many parts:

30069.jpg

. . . except that I recommend they all be brass nuts and washers.

The first rubber washer seals the bolt to the tank. The second rubber washer helps cushion strain on the china from beneath. (As when you lean against the tank.)

Deathlok

Reaction score
You haven't convinced me. Here's the proper order of materials:

1. Brass bolt.
2. Rubber washer.
3. Tank china.
4. Space.
5. Bowl china.
6. Rubber washer.
7. Brass washer.
8. Brass nut.

The above is what I did. but in the above pic, why is there 4 metal washers ( thats what I call em)

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Deathlock said:
The above is what I did. but in the above pic, why is there 4 metal washers ( thats what I call em)

The four washers correspond with the second list, not the first list.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks