pipe insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Gfe76

Reaction score
Live in atlanta. pipes exposed in basement ceiling, mostly copper, some cpvc.
I ran outside hot/cold faucets (made with ball valves and connected with copper "T" for mixing), 25' of hot/cold cpvc is run exposed in ceiling of storage area of garage that is not heated.

I want to insulate all the hot pipe in basement so I want have so much heat loss when using the hot water. I also want to insulate the hot/cold cpvc pipe (1/2") that is in unheated storage room to prevent freezing and also to maintain hot temps when I use the hot water outside.

What type pipe insulation. Box stores have 1/2" wall black open foam type, but it seems to be too "airy". I want something more dense like the foam around the lines from heat pump. I have got one 6' section of the dense foam but it is not split. Can you get this dense foam in already split that seals itself? I know this dense stuff is expensive. Worth the cost? or should I just go with the box store stuff? sorry for all the questions, but you guys make me sleep better at nite.... :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
insulation

I guess the first place to start is with the hot/cold faucets, regardless of what you used. Without backflow prevention you have created a direct connection between the hot and cold pipes, and anytime you have the valves open and the hose shut off water can move between the two systems. Insulation will slow the freezing, not stop it, so it makes little difference which one you use.

Gfe76

Reaction score
thanks hj. I should have said that 90% of the time I only use hot or cold...I hardly ever mix them. when I use hot, I use it exclusively. I thought about the back flow and if I start to mix hot/cold more then I will install backflows.

But, is it worth the extra cost to get the dense foam to prevent heat loss while I'm actually using the hot? I understand that "just sitting" one is not much more advantageous than the other. What kind of "degree" protection would i get using dense vs "airy". thanks a lot.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Insulation does not prevent heat loss. It only slows it. Insulation has no heating or cooling properties. If you have a pipe that is exposed to freezing and the water is static, it will freeze regardless of the amount or type of insulation. It may take a bit longer if the pipe is well insulated, but it will freeze.

Gfe76

Reaction score
thanks swart. But, to slow the cooling of the hot water over a 60" run (while I'm using it), should I use the cheap "airy" foam from box store (1/2") or get the dense foam? (the dense foam is about 5x more $). thanks

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Gary said it best. I still can't quite figure out how people think those styrofoam domes work when attached to their outside spigots when they should of shut the valve off inside, opened the spigot to drain out. (Not the frostproof type)

It simply does not fix the issue with temperature protection.

The expensive dense armaflex is the best product for water lines.....the same reason why they use it on a/c line sets to make sure the optimum temperature makes it back to the A-coil to cool your home.

Gfe76

Reaction score
thanks rugged..I'll use armaflex. I put cutoffs in the basement to isolate the outside faucets and will drain if it gets really cold for more than a few hours...
thanks again to all for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks