(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming, now Water Shortage

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Not allowed to have no grass here. Some guy paid big $$ to have artificial grass put in and the city made him take it out. The guy even tried to sue to keep it.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Wow! And we say the People's Republic of New York is bad!

Since we've wandered in and out of topic, I'll make an additional detour.
    For the original article (I've edited some of this to save space) : Original Story

If you think that's bad, how about this. You can skim alot of it and look at the highlighted parts below:

Code enforcement gets new muscle; Ordinance lays groundwork for sweeping change including interior inspections for Cape Coral homes and businesses.

Just moments after her parking restrictions failed to pass muster, LePera’s next proposal, which adopted the 2006 edition of the International Property Maintenance Codes as a part of the Cape’s building codes, flew under the radar and into law. The new measure now regulates the maintenance of all buildings, both residential and commercial, inside and out, under Article XII.

“It’s going to go a long way to make the people take care of their properties,” he said in a telephone interview Friday. “It’s actually done in Fort Myers.”

“It’s overall design to have properties looking better,” said Feichthaler. “We have to do everything we can to encourage taking care of properties better.”

Elected officials have received a number of complaints about blight taking hold in parts of the Cape and both city beautification and more stringent code enforcement have become major themes in the council campaigns this election season. But more than a few sections of the code appear to go far beyond simply ensuring properties are well maintained.

Provision 104.4 of the 2003 edition of code, which differs very little from the code which was adopted, gives code enforcement officials the right to enter any structure to ensure that its interior is up to code.

“The code official is authorized to enter the structure or premises at reasonable times to inspect subject to constitutional restriction on unreasonable searches and seizures,” it reads. “If entry is refused or not obtained, the code official is authorized to pursue recourse as provided by law.”

When asked if code enforcement officers should be knocking on doors to private homes to inspect the inside, LePera responded, “If there is a need to, then yes.”

The Breeze could not obtain a photocopy of the regulations now on the books because, according to the city clerk, it would violate copyright law. Residents are allowed to read the archived copy at city hall, but are otherwise restricted from obtaining the new code unless they purchase the document online for about $28.

In contrast to LePera, Feichthaler said he that believes there are only limited circumstances in which he could fathom a code official trying to go to a judge to gain access to a building. He said that one such scenario would be if a preschool was suspected to have serious fire code violations, and refused to allow an inspection. In that circumstance, the mayor argued, it would be important to have such a law on the books.

The property maintenance code also regulates the aesthetics of building interiors, and not simply the soundness of the structure or its relative safety.

Section 305.3 declares that “all interior surfaces, including windows and doors, shall be maintained in good, clean and sanitary condition. Peeling, chipping, flaking or abraded paint shall be repaired, removed or covered.”

Section 403.1 states that all habitable rooms must have at least one window and Section 404.4.3 maintains that all bedrooms must have access to a bathroom without passing through another bedroom.

LePera argued that the standards laid out in the maintenance code contribute to the welfare of entire neighborhoods as it would regulate converting garages, the proper amount of bath facilities and the number of people who can safely live inside of a certain building.

“Now that we finally have this we can use it as a tool to improve living conditions and to help enforce codes not only on the outside of properties but the insides,” she said. “We want to protect more than the people in the house. We want to protect the community.”

Violations of any sort could also go on a citizen’s criminal record as the newly adopted maintenance code makes it a misdemeanor offense to fail to comply after being given a notice. Failure to comply could also result in exponentially worse punishment as 106.4 states that “each day that a violation continuous after due notice has been served shall be deemed a separate offense.”

The councilwoman said this provision is not an issue.

“We have a lot things that could be charged as misdemeanors in our code right now, but we don’t,” LePera said.
    Matt

If any of these code enforcement people come knocking on my door I might be tempted to answer with my 9mm in my hand.
    Matt

Default Careful with that 9mm!

You may chip or abrade some paint with it, and THEN you'll be in trouble!

"Sir, I'm sorry to inform you that per chapter 639, subsection 13-D, line 7, your drapes are inappropriately colored."
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyPlumber View Post
    "Sir, I'm sorry to inform you that per chapter 639, subsection 13-D, line 7, your drapes are inappropriately colored."
    lol Glad to see you back around Grumpy
    Matt

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Wow, had no idea I'd start a thread that could not only create global warming, but now I've created a water shortage from everyone sitting here typing away, having to use the restroom from sitting for a period of time.

I feel special.....like a sale at a dollar store.

But did anyone fix either? eh?
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Default Rugged ..things will get fixed......

Dont worry too much about things ever getting fixed....

Their will be no major technological break throughs
    that will solve the problems on this earth .....

Quantum leaps in technology wont happen because it would ruin the status quo... cant tip the apple cart....

Global oil comapnies and World bankers simply do not want to give up their strangle -hold on this world....

Actually large leaps in tech have probably already happenned, but have been shelved away in the vaults of the global oil producers decades ago.....

you either sell us the patent on this new tech you developed for 50 mil and live happily ever after on some beautiful isalnd ....
    ... or we will bury you and your children in a land fill....

please make your choice.....

So that is basically the status quo or our world....
    The ultra rich crush and enslave humanity so that they can make a good profit for themselves...

and they will hold onto the power till the very end....
    and delay and debate the facts for another
    few dacades ...

I think that the earth itself is gonna fix
    our wagons for us soon some day

OK. here is the easy way to conserve water.

There are approx 303,325,459 people in the USA right now.

If they all, on average, pee 4 times a day based on a 1.6 GPF they will use

1,941,282,937.6 gallons per day just peeing.

If we flush only every other time we pee or use the great outdoors we can save 970,641,468.8 / GPD (gallons per day) or 354,284,136,112 gallons per year.

(354 billion 284 million 136 thousand 112 hundred)

Last edited by Cass; 11-09-2007 at 05:03 AM.

Cass,

Presumably with water in short supply, people will be dehydrated and will pee less. It's a self-limiting problem!
    Personally, I think it's lawns that are the bigger offender.

Mark,

Is it purely a coincidence or are you imitating Dennis in "Monte Python and the Holy Grail" on purpose?

Dennis: What I object to is you automatically treatin' me like an inferior.
    Arthur: Well, I am king.
    Dennis: Oh, king, eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society! If there's ever going to be any progress -

The problem is not that we are using a lot of water for household purposes. If every one of those 303 million people used 75 gallons per day (typical usage for consumption and sanitary uses) that would represent about 1% of the rain that falls on the US.

The problem is the cost of resources to collect, treat, and distribute that water, and the use of so much of it for non-essential and low-value uses.

If we stop watering the desert and our lawns for the sake of appearance, and start buying our food from places that it rains instead of where irrigation is required, we will have plenty of water.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJon View Post
    Cass,

Presumably with water in short supply, people will be dehydrated and will pee less. It's a self-limiting problem!
    Personally, I think it's lawns that are the bigger offender.

Mark,

Is it purely a coincidence or are you imitating Dennis in "Monte Python and the Holy Grail" on purpose?

Dennis: What I object to is you automatically treatin' me like an inferior.
    Arthur: Well, I am king.
    Dennis: Oh, king, eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society! If there's ever going to be any progress -
    This is the new lawn watering police in our area.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaOrange View Post
    If any of these code enforcement people come knocking on my door I might be tempted to answer with my 9mm in my hand.
    You need to read Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You need to read Unintended Consequences by John Ross.
    My curiosity is peaked...I'll put it on the list, thanks.
    Matt