Global Warming, now Water Shortage

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
How to ration gasoline

Easy enough: one man, one vote, one gallon.

Now bring on the politicians... it may not be pretty, but it will be complicated, riddled with loopholes, fraught with corruption, will likely become known as The Organized Crime Relief Act of 2009, and the politicians will be exempt.

For a longer-term view, see: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

7_14_5.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey

Reaction score
At last, we're discussing water; can plumbing be far behind?

Spebby, you must not live in the panhandle, where NIDIS claims there's current drought: http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html and the drought is likely to develop: http://www.drought.gov/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=218&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2&cached=true.

In any event, I've thought for some time that the the US has plenty of water, but it's often in the wrong place, and we waste an awful lot of water for lots of reasons. I wonder what a nationwide public works project to capture, store, and relocate water as needed would cost? At first it seems impossible, but it's not rocket science. We know how to build reservoirs, pumps, and pipes -- the main problem would seem to be load management. Probably better payback than war, in any case.

Cookie

Reaction score
So, women get 2 gallons right? cause we shop more?

7_18_3.gif

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
NATION WIDE PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT??? a good idea.

MIKEY.... That is actually a great idea.....just the wrong era...

they did that back in the mid 30s with the WPA projects after
a massive depression after a stock market crash

The reason it worked is people back then were
willing to do anything for a job like working on the Hoover Dam..

The Ten. Valley Authority built the Cumberland Dams, Wolf Creek dams
and Dale Hollow, and other
Dams in that region to capture water and power
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that aint gonna happen today unless the bottom totally falls out

As Plumbers...we both know that most people today just are not willing to do any work at all...

that is why they hire us to do their dirty work...

only if we go through what are grandparents went through
will they be willing to do the nasty --hard -labor intensive
jobs we now let the mexicans have....

no one wants to get their hands dirty,

It all Reminds me of the movie --Grapes of Wrath ---
with henry fonda..

you think the people living in
million dollar houses could handle that???..

Ineed to figure out a way to haul all my tools around on a motorcycle....
like in China

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
massive depression after a stock market crash

Be patient...

Cookie said:
women get 2 gallons right? cause we shop more?

I'd be happy to give you one of mine. Of course, since I had the foresight to buy a Prius a few years ago, the rationing scheme will undoubtedly allow me less gas since I need less. Something about "from each according to his ability, to each according to her needs...". SUV and Hummer drivers will get extra.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
MIKEY.... That is actually a great idea.....just the wrong era...

they did that back in the mid 30s with the WPA projects after
a massive depression after a stock market crash

The reason it worked is people back then were
willing to do anything for a job like working on the Hoover Dam..

The Ten. Valley Authority built the Cumberland Dams, Wolf Creek dams
and Dale Hollow, and other
Dams in that region to capture water and power
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that aint gonna happen today unless the bottom totally falls out

As Plumbers...we both know that most people today just are not willing to do any work at all...

that is why they hire us to do their dirty work...

only if we go through what are grandparents went through
will they be willing to do the nasty --hard -labor intensive
jobs we now let the mexicans have....

no one wants to get their hands dirty,

[/SIZE]

Mark,

I mumble this under my breath all the time. I'm in the middle of remodeling a house and the neighbor's kid has a bachelor's degree and is currently employed as a parking lot attendant. I've offered the guy a chance to work at my place for the same money he makes attending the lot but with me he doesn't have to pay tax and he won't work. Were talking easy mindless work here. Some sanding, sweeping, moving stuff from one room to another etc...

Tom

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Mark, I'm sorry if I upset you...

Which I assume I must have if you're calling me Archie Bunker.

Let's review:

I'm a registered Democrat who voted for Al Gore, drives a Prius three miles each way to work, and donates money to Greenpeace. As for my alleged intolerance, I happen to live - by choice - in the most diverse census tract in the country. So you can give it a rest, maybe. There are certainly Archie Bunkers out there, but that ain't me.

First, my comments about the Nobel Peace Prize were about the Nobel Peace Prize, not the Nobel Prize in Physics, which I assume to be apolitical. Einstein is The Dude!

My objection to the anthropogenic global warming hypothesis is that the science is bad. I have reviewed the science, which just happens to be my day job, and it is not up to standard. It really doesn't matter that scads of people agree or disagree, because the conclusions do not follow from the data, and the data themselves are questionable, and THAT is ultimately how science determines truth. Not by a beauty contest or a popular vote. History is rife with noted scholars agreeing on a point that is later determined to be wrong. I believe this is just another one of them. In fact, go look up what the mainstream scientific community had to say about Einstein when he published his revolutionary ideas. Are you aware that he never received a Nobel Prize for his theory of relativity? Go look it up!

Are the polar ice caps melting? It sure seems like they are. Is Greenland melting? I believe so. Is the sea level going to go up? It's quite possible. It's also completely unsurprising. 10,000 years ago, the Atlantic coastline was 100 miles from my birthplace, Coney Island. 10,000 years ago the Wisconsin Glacier extended as far south as Prospect Park, which is a block from where I'm sitting. I peruse the terminal moraine of this glacier every day from my front porch. It started to recede 10,000 years ago, it's melt flowing into the oceans and raising their levels. Taking a long-term view, it hasn't stopped. Sure there have been decades and centuries in which the progress of its melting has slowed down or even reversed, but the long-term trend has been more or less continuous for 10,000 years.

The bottom line, gentle Mark, is that it is easy to deride people who disagree with you as bigoted buffoons. It is far harder to form an argument that (pardon the pun) carries more water than "it sure SEEMS like everything is melting." The majority opposes me? I'm as unconvinced as Al Gore was in December 2000.

Cookie

Reaction score
I bought at Borders the most wonderful audio CD's (6 in a box, running time 7 hours) on Einstein. The book is written by Walter Issacson and the tapes read by Edward Herrmann. I strongly suggest anyone with an interest in not only Einstein but science to listen to them. I think most of you will be suprised to learn a few unknown and very precise facts about this wonderful, peaceful, learned man. He matched my passions for living, loving, and enjoying life. My eyebrows were raised several times, I laughed several times, and I cried, and pounded my fist in anger, when I had learned that he had never won the prize for his theory of relativity. What became more intriguing were the real reasons why not. I highly recommend listening to the CD's while pedaling your bike to work on a frosty morning.

Last edited:

theelviscerator

Reaction score
I bought at Borders the most wonderful audio CD's (6 in a box, running time 7 hours) on Einstein. The book is written by Walter Issacson and the tapes read by Edward Herrmann. I strongly suggest anyone with an interest in not only Einstein but science to listen to them. I think most of you will be suprised to learn a few unknown and very precise facts about this wonderful, peaceful, learned man. He matched my passions for living, loving, and enjoying life. My eyebrows were raised several times, I laughed several times, and I cried, and pounded my fist in anger, when I had learned that he had never won the prize for his theory of relativity. What became more intriguing were the real reasons why not. I highly recommend listening to the CD's while pedaling your bike to work on a frosty morning.

Yet Al Bore has one..rofl..

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the nobel prize

Sorry folks.....I am not calling anyone a bigot here.... just the way people seem to
want to laugh it all off seems to be the only analogy I can think of....

Go find the last Natioinal Geographic magazine from a month or two ago...

Its called the "big Meltdown" and its pretty interesting.....
just becasue it is not happenning in your back yard and you
cant see it ....dont mean it is not takeing place....

the nobel prize is usually given out to someone that has
made some significant contributioin to humanity in
some way.......wether physics, envoronment, math, ect ect......

I am sure that Al Gore strong armed them somehow to get that proze....

Al Bore.... as you call him did make a very good
documentary about the probems that our childrren
and their children childrens are going to have to face.....

if you feel that he won the prize because he was the
VP for my buddy -- "BJ Clinton" -- thats really beside the point..

I know that old AL isnt blowing anything here..
or vice versa......

you can joke all you want about this issue but
I seriousley doubt that many here have ever seen the movie..
or will ever sit through it. Its available at blockbuster just down the street.

and I think it is very infantile to disclaim it just because a politician
had something to do with it

its sort of like sitting through a lecture
on how you are probably going to die in the
next unknown number of years..
if something else dont kill ya. first......

it is very sobering stuff

now on the bright side...........

maybe you will get hit by a car today...
and not have to be around for the really grim stuff........

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I will speak for myself, I want to be around for all the grim stuff and happy stuff and stuff inbetween.

But, here is something to read dated in 06. It makes for interesting reading. BTY that movie, I suffered through it, and I even own the copy and it holds up the other movies in the rack quite well.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Another scientist who is/has/was employed by the oil and coal industries as a consultant. His trip to testify before the Senate was paid for by a fuels corporation.
He's also trained atmospheric physicist who as been at odds with a climate prediction scientist.

He is hardly unbiased in my opinion and his fancy sheepskins do not make him the expert of experts.

Cookie

Reaction score
"Why don't we stop wasting time and resources trying to reverse nature, and instead use our intelligence to adapt our living spaces to the changing conditions."

Hmm, I quoted this from a very young person in my life. Give him the finest cup of Kool Aid in the house... :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Many subjects, lol. Seems like EVERYONE loves to debate issues. Fact of life.

Last edited:

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Florida Orange

You may be right about that global climate change skeptic being funded by industry. But then again, those scientists peddling the party line are compromised as well. Check this out: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/ma...il-fails-mention-soros-funding-nasa-scientist

The fact is, the government scientists are far from unbiased (and are certainly not under the thrall of the Bush administration). What's worse, they control the data, because no one else has the capability to plant 1000 weather sensors around the country. And it turns out that the sensors are highly unstandardized. And the data are modified by algorithms that the NOAA won't release.

And when it was demonstrated that the data was erroneous, the result was a highly unpublicized correction by NASA (which, incidentally, indicates that the hottest decade in the 20th Century was the 1930s, which was probably the decade with the least industrial output, mind you): http://michellemalkin.com/2007/08/0...98-was-not-the-warmest-year-in-the-millenium/

Ultimately, what boggles my mind is how so many people are willing to uncritically accept this on the basis of the opinion of a bunch of experts in white coats. These same believers are skeptical about virtually everything else, such as whether planes really crashed into buildings on 9/11, and whether western medicine works. They won't eat Nutrasweet. They won't use cellular phones. They believe the studies that demonstrate their safety are shams.

But a guy in a white coat says that their breath is heating up the planet? Then it must be true!

Baffling!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here in the Northwest, we don't have to go far to see the climate change.
Glaciers are disappearing on a yearly basis. We see this on our weekend hikes.
New species are entering the area. Both on land and by water.
Ski areas are in talks about trading acreage for higher elevations.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You may be right about that global climate change skeptic being funded by industry. But then again, those scientists peddling the party line are compromised as well. Check this out: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/ma...il-fails-mention-soros-funding-nasa-scientist

The fact is, the government scientists are far from unbiased (and are certainly not under the thrall of the Bush administration). What's worse, they control the data, because no one else has the capability to plant 1000 weather sensors around the country. And it turns out that the sensors are highly unstandardized. And the data are modified by algorithms that the NOAA won't release.

I'll agree with you on that 100%.
I'm sorry to say I'm a Republican under the current administration, I did not vote for the Dufus-In-Charge. What they've done to subvert science with their meddling seems criminal to me. But then again, 50% of what they do seems criminal to me. :cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks