Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
things are changeing....

Things are defientley changeing before our eyes....

wether we like them or not.....

glaciers melting,
binary messages found in crop circles, ect ect.....

I suggest that if we all

just keep stareing into those headlights..

it will all go away.........

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Now, what does this have to do with the topic here? NOTHING, ha ha ha. What is global warming??

Figuratively, we can't seem to discern convenience from necessity.
Did you drive there in an SUV?
We rationalize indifference with distorted fact, misinformation or political objective.
I'm not saying driving around in an electric powered tin can will save the world, I'm saying I don't know enough to say it won't.
I'm saying I can't just turn away from the fact that we spew more CO into the atmosphere now than at any point in Earths history, and many of us are rationalizing it as normal, that it can't have anything to do with global warming, therefore no guilt need be felt driving to the mall in an SUV instead of a slower, less convenient hybrid.
I'm not educated enough to know, apparently neither are those who are educated, but erring on the side of caution doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
electric powered tin

Here's mine! Are we going to stop that carbon footprint? I don't think the entertainment industry will hold still though.

I can see it now; all the green followers are going to stop this, stop all the nascar racing (do you realize how hard it would be stop them?)

Buying a light bulb, driving a battery won't stop the out of control train. Argue it till the cows come home but I believe the cows got blamed for that as well, something about cow manure and flatuence was contributing to ozone depletion........!

Gubbament! Stop Him!

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Figuratively, we can't seem to discern convenience from necessity.

Once experienced, a convenience seemingly becomes a necessity!

I'm not saying driving around in an electric powered tin can will save the world, I'm saying I don't know enough to say it won't.

I have read and heard that the energy thus saved and pollution reduced actually get spent and released elsewhere in order to make that savings possible. In other words, it takes what it takes to do whatever we do and we do not run on perpetual motion.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
...a slower, less convenient hybrid.

Slower? Al Gore Jr was stopped for speeding at 100mph in a Prius in California recently.

Less convenient? It's very much like a Camry in terms of performance and passenger-carrying capability, except it gets about 49mpg (my 3-year average). I can carry 10-foot lengths of pipe and 8-foot 2x4s in it, more conveniently than with a short-bed pickup. I must admit, though, it's a real bitch getting a sheet of drywall in it :D.

Cookie

Reaction score
Grumpy, no SUV here. And, it was an absolute necessity to go. Big sales, lol.

Last edited:

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Prius

Funny, I can't get a sheet of drywall in my Prius, either. But it does accelerate like a M.F. from a dead stop, which works for me in my urban environment. On a road trip to South Carolina, I got 48 mpg for the trip while cruising at 90 mph (with my three ladies and all their stuff in the car). Not bad, IMHO.

As to the comments about the batteries, those are potentially legitimate criticisms. I don't know enough about the manufacturing and recycling processes to know if they offset the reduced pollution, etc. It may be that I'd be better off in a garden variety Honda Civic.

Cookie

Reaction score
Mikey, B. Jon,

I carry drywall on TOP of my car. Works well, acts like a sail, too, and saves on gas.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Toyota's Green Problem

Prius gets 48 mpg < > Tundra gets 14 mpg

This equates to the same strategy as the tobacco companies

They will help you get hooked on smoking

AND

They will help you to quit now as well.

Either way, they got you right where they want you, spending money no matter what your personal choices are.

So...wouldn't this mean that if you buy a toyota, you are also supporting a company that defies the regulations of gas conservation?

Seems to me that would be true.

Mikey

Reaction score
Mikey, B. Jon,

I carry drywall on TOP of my car. Works well, acts like a sail, too, and saves on gas.

Yeah, didn't I see you at Home Depot yesterday?

Attachments

• squashed car with plywood.jpg
    squashed car with plywood.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 509

Mikey

Reaction score
I think the MSRP starts at just under $20K, but the usually load 'em up with options, and some dealers tack on a "dealer premium" or "availability surcharge", so the bottom line could be anywhere up to slightly over $30K, I imagine. When I bought mine the dealer ripoff surcharge was $2K, but because they screwed up when they wrote the contract, I wasn't obligated to pay it. I got the 2nd-from-the-top options package, plus leather seats (which in 2005 weren't available from Toyota), and the out-the-door price was about $27K. I traded in my pickup, which further confused the real price, I suppose.

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
My Prius

IIRC, I paid around 23-24K in December '04 for my 2005 Prius. It had a couple of options which added around $1000 to the price, and I didn't have to pay a markup (I did have to wait 11 months, tho'). Then, of course, there were tax incentives which probably came to around 3000-4000 total, which was sweet. So I ended up paying right around 20k or slightly less.

You should give one a test drive sometime. It's really surprisingly roomy inside (even though it looks like a stub outside), handles nicely at the 85 mph I routinely drive (just kidding, officers!), and accelerates like all hell up to around 45 mph (electric motors are torque machines). The first 10-15 minutes its on, the engine runs continuously to warm up, and the mileage suffers (25-30 mpg). Once it's warm, it zips along at 40-50 mpg no matter how you drive it.

Global warming or no global warming, it's a great car, so long as you don't routinely carry drywall around.

Mikey

Reaction score
Thread creep alert!

Jon, I heard something on one of the Prius forums that sounds booogus, but with these techie-gimmick-rich cars, who knows? We all know that most of the wear on an engine occurs during initial startup, when the oil is thick and the engine is cold so clearances are all screwed up. Someone claimed that the Prius has a thermos-bottle-like container in the engine compartment, and when you shut the thing down the hot oil is pumped into the thermos. When you restart, the engine won't run until the hot oil has been pumped back into it. Admittedly, there is a brief, whiny, small-pump-like noise you hear when you shut it off, but this seems a bit far out... I keep meaning to buy the service manual, but times are tough right now.

I do know that when "the engine runs continuously to warm up", what it's warming up is the catalytic converter. I suspect that as battery technology gets better, they might use 'tricity to keep the converter hot if the engine isn't needed.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hybrids are particularly good where you do a lot of stop-and-go driving. I think every taxicab and mail-carrier vehicle should be a hybrid.

They don't provide as much benefit on the highway. I read a report of a test comparing a hybrid with a diesel Jetta for a round trip from Detroit to Washington, DC. The Jetta had better fuel economy than the hybrid.

I like the idea of the electric cars like the GM Volt (not yet available). It has a range of about 40 miles on battery alone which covers many local stop-and-go trips that use a lot of fuel. However, they might not be attractive in areas where you need a heater to keep the windshield defrosted and to keep yourself warm.

I continue to believe that global warming will not be all that bad if we adapt to it, as we inevitably will.

Cookie

Reaction score
History channel

On the History channel tonite it is about Global warming. I am not watching it going to watch something funny, instead. :)

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Hybrids are particularly good where you do a lot of stop-and-go driving. I think every taxicab and mail-carrier vehicle should be a hybrid.
Thats is what they are good for.

They don't provide as much benefit on the highway. I read a report of a test comparing a hybrid with a diesel Jetta for a round trip from Detroit to Washington, DC. The Jetta had better fuel economy than the hybrid.

They use gas for speeds over something like 35 I think. I know Im wrong about the speed but they only use elec. for in city driving and highway is all gas. They need to make something better sooner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks