(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming, now Water Shortage

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking humans are not too smart

Basically.... geology 101 ,

most changes to earth are on a geological time table takes tens of thousands of years and more to even happen.....

Yellowstone park is still a geological baby forming.......

IN Earth time , the dianasours died off about a minute ago...that was over 60 mil years ago in human time...

Humans have been around only a verty short time ......

and the reason most scienteist are concerned
    is we are actually WATCHING both polar ice caps melting away....in real human time

not something gradual over 2000---20,000 years.....
    its actually happenning in less than 20 years....

again folks...both polar ice caps are melting before our
    very finite human eyes.....and will probably be gone
    quicker than anyone had ever dreamed it would...

and that aint good...... on a lot of different levels.......

and what exactly are we supposed to be adapting to???

Cass..Greenlnad was called Greenland to trick people to move there back 500 years ago
    usually when they got there they were stuck ....

ICELAND was named ICELAND becasue it was a very nice place and they gave it a nasty
    name to keep people away......

um, eating our young?

Blog Entries

Talking thats already happenning

Well that is already happenning in parts of Africa.

I hope and pray that we can maintain some sort of civility
    if or when our food and supply systems break down
    in a disaster some day....

and keep things from descending into chaos like those poor
    souls have had to endure.

maybe New orleans was a test .......

They have been doing that for centuries, it is called, cannibalism; and, here it is called, Jeffery Dahmer.
    ( got to give the credit for this one to Cass it was his idea)
    Last edited by Cookie; 11-05-2007 at 03:13 PM.

I will join the fray with a few comments:

Some 30 years ago, the mid 1970's, the scientists were in an uproar over global cooling. (google global cooling) Now it's global warming. I think it's ridiculous to make predictions based on a very short time span in earth time. In my area, Oklahoma, there is no water shortage. In fact, Oklahoma has had more rain through the first 9 months of this year than in any other whole year in our recorded history. (The recent dry weather has electrical, plumbing and framing inspectors running 2 weeks behind in my area, my project is on hold waiting for inspections) How many times have the polar ice caps melted in Earth's history? Why should we expect them not to melt just because man is now inhabiting the earth. Earth has been in a state of flux since the beginning and will continue to be. If man quit burning fossil fuels today, Earth will still be in a state of flux. One difference in U.S. weather: Never before in the history of Earth has air pollution been as bad as it is today to our West (China, Japan and Korea). Most of the U.S. weather patterns come from the West.

Assuming the scientists are on target with global warming, the coming energy crisis will hit long before any effects of global warming are felt. Currently, the U.S. consumes 25% of the world's oil with only 4.5% of the world's population. In the last 10 years, China has built 50,000 miles of interstate highways and has gone from a net oil exporter to the 2nd largest importer of oil. India is not far behind China in increased oil demand. The annual increase in oil supply is nowhere near the annual increase in oil demand. Within 2 years there WILL BE gasoline rationing in the U.S. Gasoline rationing will be long term, not short term as in the 1970's. The fun in this country will start when politicians try to figure out a way to ration gasoline. It will not be pretty.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Default How to ration gasoline

Easy enough: one man, one vote, one gallon.

Now bring on the politicians... it may not be pretty, but it will be complicated, riddled with loopholes, fraught with corruption, will likely become known as The Organized Crime Relief Act of 2009, and the politicians will be exempt.

For a longer-term view, see: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

Last edited by Cookie; 11-06-2007 at 05:51 AM.

Default At last, we're discussing water; can plumbing be far behind?

Spebby, you must not live in the panhandle, where NIDIS claims there's current drought: http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html and the drought is likely to develop: http://www.drought.gov/portal/server...=2&cached=true.

In any event, I've thought for some time that the the US has plenty of water, but it's often in the wrong place, and we waste an awful lot of water for lots of reasons. I wonder what a nationwide public works project to capture, store, and relocate water as needed would cost? At first it seems impossible, but it's not rocket science. We know how to build reservoirs, pumps, and pipes -- the main problem would seem to be load management. Probably better payback than war, in any case.

So, women get 2 gallons right? cause we shop more?

Last edited by Cookie; 11-06-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Talking NATION WIDE PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT??? a good idea.

MIKEY.... That is actually a great idea.....just the wrong era...

they did that back in the mid 30s with the WPA projects after
    a massive depression after a stock market crash

The reason it worked is people back then were
    willing to do anything for a job like working on the Hoover Dam..

The Ten. Valley Authority built the Cumberland Dams, Wolf Creek dams
    and Dale Hollow, and other
    Dams in that region to capture water and power
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that aint gonna happen today unless the bottom totally falls out

As Plumbers...we both know that most people today just are not willing to do any work at all...

that is why they hire us to do their dirty work...

only if we go through what are grandparents went through
    will they be willing to do the nasty --hard -labor intensive
    jobs we now let the mexicans have....

no one wants to get their hands dirty,

It all Reminds me of the movie --Grapes of Wrath ---
    with henry fonda..

you think the people living in
    million dollar houses could handle that???..

Ineed to figure out a way to haul all my tools around on a motorcycle....
    like in China

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    massive depression after a stock market crash
    Be patient...

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    women get 2 gallons right? cause we shop more?
    I'd be happy to give you one of mine. Of course, since I had the foresight to buy a Prius a few years ago, the rationing scheme will undoubtedly allow me less gas since I need less. Something about "from each according to his ability, to each according to her needs...". SUV and Hummer drivers will get extra.

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    MIKEY.... That is actually a great idea.....just the wrong era...

they did that back in the mid 30s with the WPA projects after
    a massive depression after a stock market crash

The reason it worked is people back then were
    willing to do anything for a job like working on the Hoover Dam..

The Ten. Valley Authority built the Cumberland Dams, Wolf Creek dams
    and Dale Hollow, and other
    Dams in that region to capture water and power
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that aint gonna happen today unless the bottom totally falls out

As Plumbers...we both know that most people today just are not willing to do any work at all...

that is why they hire us to do their dirty work...

only if we go through what are grandparents went through
    will they be willing to do the nasty --hard -labor intensive
    jobs we now let the mexicans have....

no one wants to get their hands dirty,

[/SIZE]
    Mark,

I mumble this under my breath all the time. I'm in the middle of remodeling a house and the neighbor's kid has a bachelor's degree and is currently employed as a parking lot attendant. I've offered the guy a chance to work at my place for the same money he makes attending the lot but with me he doesn't have to pay tax and he won't work. Were talking easy mindless work here. Some sanding, sweeping, moving stuff from one room to another etc...

Tom

Default Mark, I'm sorry if I upset you...

Which I assume I must have if you're calling me Archie Bunker.

Let's review:

I'm a registered Democrat who voted for Al Gore, drives a Prius three miles each way to work, and donates money to Greenpeace. As for my alleged intolerance, I happen to live - by choice - in the most diverse census tract in the country. So you can give it a rest, maybe. There are certainly Archie Bunkers out there, but that ain't me.

First, my comments about the Nobel Peace Prize were about the Nobel Peace Prize, not the Nobel Prize in Physics, which I assume to be apolitical. Einstein is The Dude!

My objection to the anthropogenic global warming hypothesis is that the science is bad. I have reviewed the science, which just happens to be my day job, and it is not up to standard. It really doesn't matter that scads of people agree or disagree, because the conclusions do not follow from the data, and the data themselves are questionable, and THAT is ultimately how science determines truth. Not by a beauty contest or a popular vote. History is rife with noted scholars agreeing on a point that is later determined to be wrong. I believe this is just another one of them. In fact, go look up what the mainstream scientific community had to say about Einstein when he published his revolutionary ideas. Are you aware that he never received a Nobel Prize for his theory of relativity? Go look it up!

Are the polar ice caps melting? It sure seems like they are. Is Greenland melting? I believe so. Is the sea level going to go up? It's quite possible. It's also completely unsurprising. 10,000 years ago, the Atlantic coastline was 100 miles from my birthplace, Coney Island. 10,000 years ago the Wisconsin Glacier extended as far south as Prospect Park, which is a block from where I'm sitting. I peruse the terminal moraine of this glacier every day from my front porch. It started to recede 10,000 years ago, it's melt flowing into the oceans and raising their levels. Taking a long-term view, it hasn't stopped. Sure there have been decades and centuries in which the progress of its melting has slowed down or even reversed, but the long-term trend has been more or less continuous for 10,000 years.

The bottom line, gentle Mark, is that it is easy to deride people who disagree with you as bigoted buffoons. It is far harder to form an argument that (pardon the pun) carries more water than "it sure SEEMS like everything is melting." The majority opposes me? I'm as unconvinced as Al Gore was in December 2000.

I bought at Borders the most wonderful audio CD's (6 in a box, running time 7 hours) on Einstein. The book is written by Walter Issacson and the tapes read by Edward Herrmann. I strongly suggest anyone with an interest in not only Einstein but science to listen to them. I think most of you will be suprised to learn a few unknown and very precise facts about this wonderful, peaceful, learned man. He matched my passions for living, loving, and enjoying life. My eyebrows were raised several times, I laughed several times, and I cried, and pounded my fist in anger, when I had learned that he had never won the prize for his theory of relativity. What became more intriguing were the real reasons why not. I highly recommend listening to the CD's while pedaling your bike to work on a frosty morning.

Last edited by Cookie; 11-06-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I bought at Borders the most wonderful audio CD's (6 in a box, running time 7 hours) on Einstein. The book is written by Walter Issacson and the tapes read by Edward Herrmann. I strongly suggest anyone with an interest in not only Einstein but science to listen to them. I think most of you will be suprised to learn a few unknown and very precise facts about this wonderful, peaceful, learned man. He matched my passions for living, loving, and enjoying life. My eyebrows were raised several times, I laughed several times, and I cried, and pounded my fist in anger, when I had learned that he had never won the prize for his theory of relativity. What became more intriguing were the real reasons why not. I highly recommend listening to the CD's while pedaling your bike to work on a frosty morning.

Yet Al Bore has one..rofl..
    The world is a grindstone, whether it wears you down, or polishes you up, is up to you.

My sentiments exactly.