cracking concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

little buddy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am installing a 6' vinyl fence around my pool after I pour new concrete around the pool area. I will be digging the holes to insert the treated 4x4's to accept the the vinyl post sleeves. My question is, would it reduce the possibility of the concrete cracking if I were to bend 3/8" rebar into 6" squares and place them around the 4x4 treated posts prior to pouring the concrete? I have heard that concrete has a tendancy to crack when pouring around a post. {from the post to the edge of the concrete} I will have a dstance of 6 to 12 in. from the post to the edge.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
My question is, would it reduce the possibility of the concrete cracking if I were to bend 3/8" rebar into 6" squares and place them around the 4x4 treated posts prior to pouring the concrete?

Even if the concrete does crack, and it likely will, hoops help keep it intact:

Attachments

• hoops.jpg
    hoops.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 313

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I doubt that the wood posts could expand enough to create sufficient force to break that amount of concrete.

Same here. However, that particular post (6x6) in the picture did end up twisting a bit as it dried and it cracked the 12" concrete column around it. I got the idea for the re-bar cages in the Florida Keys where houses are built on concrete stilts.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm no great expert on fence posts, but I would think that the part of a post in the ground should be pressure treated and the concrete should be domed around the post at ground level to prevent water from getting in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks