Waterproof windowsills

Users who are viewing this thread

Sunny

Reaction score
We've added a room to our house with lots of windows. It's time to build the windowsills, and my husband is planning to build them of wood as that's what he's used to. I've seen new homes with acrylic or some other type of windowsill and wonder if those materials are available to diy-ers, what it's called, where I would find it, if it is hard to work with. Alternatively, is there a good way to treat / coat painted wood windowsills to make them impervious to water etc from condensation, flowerpots, ...
Thanks -

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are various synthetic woods, normally used outside that could be used if you were going to paint them. Aztec comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others. Most can be cut, shaped, treated like regular wood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks