Looking for a good high-eff water heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

jimjomac

Reaction score
My searches have led me to several different high efficiency boilers/heaters, for use in a combo system. From the advertising, each is the answer to all the world's problems, of course. But only in a forum like this one am I likely to find people who have good or bad experience with them.

Trinity, Munchkin and Munchkin Contender are highly efficient, but should or must have an indirect tank heater for domestic. They still come out less costly than the top of the line tank heaters, unless all the other hardware needed to complete the system offsets the difference. Big question: are they reliable?

AO Smith has the Vertex 50 gallon at 90%. Propane version won't be available for a few months yet, they tell me, and it's not sealed - burns inside air. And over $5000!!!

AOS also has Cyclone with extrememly high efficiency, but it's a "commercial" unit. Does that matter, if specs & price are good?

Bradford-White has the EF series, also commercial, in the high 90's.

Any other favs in the 90%+ range?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I had a BUderus boiler and Ultra-Stor SS indirect installed in January...works great.

CHH

Reaction score
The Phoenix water heater from HTP might be an option. It looks like its basically a Munchkin glued to a water tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks