Patio Door, Low E glass vs Clear glass

Users who are viewing this thread

Oberon

Reaction score
I would agree completely. One measure of a windows performance is "how comfortable" the room feels.

Heat goes to cold. Nature likes balance. The colder the windows, the more uncomfortable it is to stand (or sit) close to them because they are drawinf heat from your body in an attempt to equalize temperature between you and the window. So increasing the temperature of the glass surface really does make you feel physically more comfortable.

BigLou

Reaction score
oberon,
great posts about the Low E coatings I learned a lot about how the different coatings are applied. Do you work in window manufacturing ? I would agree that more often then not Low E is a worth while thing to do

Lou

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A second big advantage of low-e is that it stops a significant amount of UV, which helps slow down fabric fading and rotting. Most of the coatings are on a thin film of plastic suspended between the glass in the better systems...in fact, some have more than one film between the glass.

Oberon

Reaction score
Hi Lou,

I do work in the window/glass industry primarily in the areas of quality, product development, and certification.

I don't work for any particular window company, but I have worked directly with many different window companies.

Thanks!

jadnashua,

Although there are companies that still use the system of having their LowE coating applied to a plastic film that is suspended between the lites of the IG unit, that option is somewhat uncommon when compared to "standard" IG construction (i.e. LowE on glass). I would suggest that less than 1% of IG units made today use that particular system.

Unfortunately, the LowE coated film system had several significant problems, that are still something of a headache to many of the window companies that used it, in the 1990's and many folks who had been using it dropped it at the time because of those problems.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks