Proper plumbing for double sink w/ disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

bbach

Reaction score
As a DYIer, I could use some advice on this. The tee that joins the two drains in this picture has a diverter in it that is getting clogged on a regular basis on the disposal side:

DSC01571.jpg

I'm sure I did many things wrong here but is there a quick fix? Thanks. -- Bud

MG

Reaction score
Our old kitchen had one of those diverters and it was a pain in the butt. I think the better option would be to ditch that fitting and go with a 2" or 1.5" (depending on your plumbing) double wye. You can get fittings to adapt a trap to a DWV fitting. You could then put in a cleanout at the end of the wye, and the sink / disposal will not have to go past a diverter.

Some stuff just shouldn't go down a disposal, such as egg shells, fibrous foods, etc.

bbach

Reaction score
FloridaOrange, I think that would work best for me. So I can just replace the 90deg piece that comes out of the disposal with a straight tail piece? I had seen a similar diagram for dual sinks without a disposal but I didn't know I could easily get rid of the 90deg elbow on the disposal. Thanks. -- Bud

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Just ask for a disposer continuous waste, but how old is the disposer? Either it is not grinding properly, or you are not using adequate water, otherwise it would not clog continually.

Nards01

Reaction score
Same setup as this picture but dishwasher not draining!

In Florida we do a 1-1/2" trap for the non-disposal side. The other sink empties directly into the disposal, the disposal empties via tail piece into the single trap.

Like this: https://terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages2/24587.html
sink_dw.jpg

I have a setup that used to look like this until this past weekend. It was this way when I moved and and I decided to simply removed the air gap and ran the pipe directly to my disposal. I ran the diswasher and found no leaks however the dishwasher didn't drain! This leads me to believe that the air cap thing must be necesasry? Can the airgap be bypassed or and the plumbing be re-routed to avoid having the water draining throught the top of my sink out of the airgap. I just want it to drain directly. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The air gap is a safety feature, and depending on where you live, removal could be a code violation, and certainly is a (maybe small) risk.

Is the disposal new? If so, did you knock out the plug? The connection for the dishwasher is plugged on new disposals, since not everyone has one, and if it was just a hole, it would slew crud out everywhere. If not, it could be plugged up with crud on it's own. Remove the hose and look. See if it will drain (pump) into a big bucket...poke something in through the hole and see if it goes into the disposal.

Nards01

Reaction score
The air gap is a safety feature, and depending on where you live, removal could be a code violation, and certainly is a (maybe small) risk.

Is the disposal new? If so, did you knock out the plug? The connection for the dishwasher is plugged on new disposals, since not everyone has one, and if it was just a hole, it would slew crud out everywhere. If not, it could be plugged up with crud on it's own. Remove the hose and look. See if it will drain (pump) into a big bucket...poke something in through the hole and see if it goes into the disposal.

I installed the disposal a few months ago and I am pretty sure that i have removed the plug but I will definately check that. If I have removed the plug should the dishwasher drain without having an airgap?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, the dw should be able to pump itself out without an airgap. The hose might have become kinked, especially if you had to stretch it to hook it up directly. It still needs to be, at the minimum, run up to the highest you can get it underneath the counter before dropping down to the disposal. If you used some sort of connecter there to make the hose longer, it could be blocked.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't have (not code required) the airgap and never had an issue.
The plug in the disposal is often forgotten by people............I had a friend complaining that he though his dishwasher was shot after he replaced his disposal. One thing after another.

I asked him if he removed the plug and his response was.."Plug?"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I run into the plug not being removed by homeowners too.

Water will be leaking all over the counter, and the plug is still there.
It takes no time at all, to knock out the plug for the dishwasher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks