Moen Tub/Shower faucet won't stay shut off>

Users who are viewing this thread

Rustyone

Consumer Advocate/Semi-retired-and enjoying every
Reaction score

The antics of a Ghost? After I push the water control in (stopping water flow) hours, sometimes days later, the water is running full blast. I took the face plate and the knob off, used a pair of pliers to push the cartridge in all of the way, only to watch it slowly come back out allowing the water to flow again.:rolleyes:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pick up a water pressure gauge at one of the big box stores or hardware store for about $10 and check what your house pressure is. You can screw it onto the drain of the WH, or washing machine, or outside hose bib. If you pick up the appropriate adapters, you could even screw it onto the showerhead arm.

If you have a pressure reduction valve, it may be shot. If you have an expansion tank (and you should if you have a PRV), then it may be shot. Then, when the water heater turns on after use, the cold water expands and can cause the pressure to jump up way over 100# until something gives (usually the T&P valve at the WH).

Rustyone

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jim.
In the Basement the Pressure Tank dial reads 50# (I have a Well) and seems to stay right at that range. I think you have hit on something though. In my Half Bath (rarely used) when the sink faucet is turned on or the toilet is flushed, it sounds like they are going to be blown off of the floor (air in the pipes, huh). I turned the water off at the pressure tank, opened all of the faucets and waited until they were drained. I then closed them all again and turned the Main back on. When the Pressure Tank gauge showed 50# again--I turned all of the faucets on one at a time (starting downstairs) and left all of them running until they stopped sputtering. I then shut them all off one at a time, again starting downstairs, and ending with the Tub/Shower faucet upstairs. After a minute or two, the water started running again all by itself. I think I am going to "Run Away."

Rustyone

Reaction score

Yep--the clip is still on the cartridge (sort of a "U" shape--only upside down) and when the water starts flowing again, it is still attached. Sounds like I might need a Plumber, doesn't it?

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
clip issue

There is no way the cartridge should come out if the clip is installed over through the metal collar and INTO the the cartridge. The only way I can see that happening is if the wrong clip is installed or the groove in the plastic cartridge does not exist.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

The valve is turning on, the cartridge is not flying out. Moen does have a problem with some of the plastic 1225 cartridges being too well lubricated and they will turn on by themselves. Usually replacing the cartridge takes care of it.

moen1225.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I didn't see your location you wouldn't happened to be in the New York area maybe around the town of Amityville.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove the cartridge and check for debris that is keeping the cartridge from being pushed in all the way.

If there's no debris, take the cartridge apart and remove as much of the grease (lubricant) as possible.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't see your location you wouldn't happened to be in the New York area maybe around the town of Amityville.
LOL

Call or go on line to moen and tell them you want a new cartridge. Most valve these days have a limited life time warranty. It could be worth it.

Rustyone

Reaction score

You Guys'---I don't live at Amityville--but it feels like it. :) I live in Wisconsin. However, we do have our fair share of "Unexplained things happening."

I took a pair of pliers and pushed the Cartridge in, as far as it would go. I then sprayed the "P---" out of it with WD-40, took the pliers again and pulled the Cartridge out as far as it would go, and again sprayed with WD. I kept turning the Cartridge from side to side, and in and out, (with the Main water shut-off) ending with the Cartridge pushed in as far as it will go. I went back down to the Basement to turn the Main water valve (not one "Shut-off valve" for any waterline in this relatively new house) back on. NO water running out of the Moen Faucet. I will write to Moen and get a new Cartridge. Until then I will leave things as they are, so that I have water for the rest of the house.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read my "Saga" and care enough to share your expertise. It is comforting to know that there "Are" still great people in this World of ours'. My youngest son is overseas (second tour) as I write this email, he is a Marine.

Gob Bless America!!

I would like to share one more thing with all of you--this has reminded me of the time I tried to remove a burned out head light from my '57 Chevy, (I was 18 at the time & my first car) and proceeded to remove "Everything," including the adjustment screws, frame, socket, and anything else that was attached. I ended up having to take my car and a "Box of Parts" to a Garage, and pay to get it all put back together again.

"If you don't know what you are doing--ask someone that does!!"

Thanks again,

Joyce

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you had the cartridge pulled out, did you check for debris inside the pipe? Sometimes an old rubber washer or gasket from a previous cartridge can get lodged in there and prevent the new cartridge from being pushed in all the way. This will cause the valve to open up by itself.

Check this before installing another cartridge.

Rustyone

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Eric.
I did wipe the Cartridge off when it was sticking out before I sprayed the WD-40, but never gave the rest of the pipe a thought. I will clean it all (makes sense) before I install the new Cartridge.

This site is really helpful-Take Care,

Joyce

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
WD-40 is not friendly to some rubber compounds. I don't usually use it on cartridges, and never use it on a part which will be installed again.

Rustyone

Reaction score
WD-40 is not friendly to some rubber compounds. I don't usually use it on cartridges, and never use it on a part which will be installed again.

Jimbo--I guess I shouldn't have done that--I will turn the Main off and start over---or, should I just wait until I get the new Cartridge and clean it all out then?

It's starting to remind me of the "Headlight replacement thing Again." :D

Rustyone

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Patrick--sounds like you and Jimbo are in agreement-I may have made a bad situation worse. I still haven't tried to turn the faucet back on--and it has not "Turned itself on again either."

I'm thinking that I should just leave it "As Is" for now, until I get a new Cartridge.

Joyce

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Patrick--sounds like you and Jimbo are in agreement-I may have made a bad situation worse. I still haven't tried to turn the faucet back on--and it has not "Turned itself on again either."

I'm thinking that I should just leave it "As Is" for now, until I get a new Cartridge.

Joyce

Yup just let it be for now then clean it when you have the new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks