(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Broken threads in faucet

Question Broken threads in faucet

Newbie here, thanks for the forum, admins!

I moved into a new apartment and went to remove the aerator to install my own that couples with my portable dishwasher. As I tried to unscrew it, the threads snapped off due to corrosion.

I have tried a few things in removing the threads but no luck to far. I bought 'pipe nipple extractors' from Home Depot, but the largest one is just a tad too small to fit in the faucet mouth. I was thinking about trying to wrap a washcloth around it and try that, but I am doubtful.

I tried soaking in LimeAway and tapping a tiny screwdriver inbetween the threads, but that spelled the end of that screwdriver as it bent and became worthless. I may try an awl next.

Currently it is soaking in CLR. Does anyone have advice for me? Like I said it is an apartment, and my manager is never going to get around to a replacement faucet, it took me three weeks to get a front door key that doesn't take 20 minutes of jiggling to open the door. Seriously.

Thanks so much!

Filmkid

soaking in CLR and using an awl to break away at the threads worked. I hope others can benefit form this, since I didn't see anyone post anywhere on the web that they had success w this.

Oh BTW, I did use my power drill with a tiny titanium coated bit to drill into the threading in various spots. I was very careful not to go too far and damage the faucet threading. Worked like a charm. I had read of ppl trying to hacksaw bits of thread in larger pipe, and couldnt do that w such a narrow/shallow area... but the drill was perfect.
    Last edited by filmkid; 10-24-2007 at 12:54 AM.

Congratulations on your ingenuity!

The scratch awl, or ice pick, is the tool I have used. The hardest part is if you cannot remove the spout, your are working upside down with a mirror.

By the way, if you put just a light dab of plumbers grease, or even vaseline, on the threads, the aerator will come out easier next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Congratulations on your ingenuity!

The scratch awl, or ice pick, is the tool I have used. The hardest part is if you cannot remove the spout, your are working upside down with a mirror.

By the way, if you put just a light dab of plumbers grease, or even vaseline, on the threads, the aerator will come out easier next time.
    NOW you tell me!

Thanks! I was proud to tell my building manager I took care of the problem myself.

Luckily I was able to take the spout off... never would been able to get it myself otherwise, I'm just not that coordinated!

Thanks again for providing such a site!

Best,
    fk