(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Recessed marble tub top problems?

Default Recessed marble tub top problems?

I'd like to do a marble top with a cutout for our recessed tub (picture with example attached) - it's a standard 3-wall recessed bathtub with shower. My contractor says that there can be water leak problems, due to the space between the marble top and the tub, even though marble companies are willing to install it. Is this accurate and is there any preventive measure that can be done to prevent water leaks?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Normally sunken tubs are not used in a alcove installation because they are used with a shower. You can chaulk around the tub but with the movement of the tub with people getting in and out there may be a leak.
    For this application i would have used a tub that has a top and a tiling flange.
    http://www.alcove.ca/Plans/Bains/Plan_230RL.pdf

thanks so much for the reply. fortunately we haven't yet purchased or installed the tub. i will ask the installers to do a tile flange. is the tile flange according to these instructions (attached) what you are speaking of? we're even more limited in tub choices since we need to install a 54" tub.

Most acrylic tubs can be ordered with a tiling flange molded onto the tub but you can also order a seperate tiling flange kit which can be added to a tub.
    http://www.jacuzzi.com/pdf/TILEFLNGKIT.PDF

do you know if it works on this type of tub?
    http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...=2&category=10

Default tun

It is built into that tub. But I am confused, because if you were going to install a marble deck over the tub, that implies that there is space all around the tub, in which case a tile flange, (which by definition is intended to contact the adjacent wall), would not be next to the wall.

well this is the actual space it will be going into (new tub + marble top)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That tub has the built in tiling flange. You only need to specify left or right hand drain.

tun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is built into that tub. But I am confused, because if you were going to install a marble deck over the tub, that implies that there is space all around the tub, in which case a tile flange, (which by definition is intended to contact the adjacent wall), would not be next to the wall.
    What they originally wanted to use was a drop in soaker tub on a marble top.
    Which would be ok if it was only being used as a tub only, but they also want to use it for a shower.