Water heater: wait, replace, or maintain?

Users who are viewing this thread

jjeff

Reaction score
I am a homeowner with kids in college (thus looking to avoid expenses, if possible). My current water heater is 23 years old. Like most homeowners, I have never done anything to maintain it. For most of its life, the temperature has been set between 120-140 F (with fewer kids in the house, currently it is set at 120 F). Recently, my wife thinks that the amount and temperature of our hot water has dropped (she takes hot showers and probably is more sensitive to such things than I am). I've examined the burner and bottom of the tank. While there are some rust flakes on the burner, the bottom of the tank looks rust-free and the flue looks pretty good, too (no obvious water streaks and just a little bit of rust). There are no water leaks under the tank. So, I have the following questions for the knowledgable people here:

1. Should I just ignore this until the heater is obviously not working, then replace it?

2. Should I try to replace the dip tube and anode to maintain it (i.e., to try to extend its life)?

3. Should I start lining up bids right now and preemptively replace it?

If (and when) I do replace it, what brands are recommended? We'll be living here for the next 20 years, I imagine, so I am willing to pay more up front for a longer product life.

Thanks for any advice!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
23 years is really pushing a gas water heater, but is not unheard of. While odds are that you are on borrowed time, no one can tell you it might not last 5 more years.

The brands that seem to be preferred by folks on this forum are Rheem/RUUD and Bradford White. ( GE at HD is also made by Rheem). The brand most often mentioned as "trouble" is AO Smith, including State, Reliant, Maytag, and Whirlpool.

All brands sell good/better/best models, with slightly varying features and warranty ranging from 6 yrs to 12 yrs to "lifetime" on the tank. Many warranties cover labor and all parts, for 1 year only. But there is great variability on this depending on where you buy it. Retailers and distributors also offer add-on warranties.

At this point, I don't know if I would recommend trying to replace the dip tube or the anode rod. Just the process of doing this may well result in the necessity to replace the T/P valve, drain valve, nipples.....etc. Is this all worth the expense and hassle, or should you just budget for a complete replacement in the near future??

About 3 years ago, I replaced my gas WH preemtively at the age of 17 yrs. Peace of mind. But easy for me to say, because of course I didn't have to pay for labor. Chalked it up to the "honey do" list!

Last edited:

jjeff

Reaction score
Thanks, jimbo!

I have decided to get a few bids to decide on a plumber and model, then wait for the impending death of my heater. (Hopefully, it will be a peaceful death---and not flood my basement!)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If it fails it will do so in one of two ways:

1) no hot water and/or

2) a flood

So if your basement is unfinished like mine, run it to death and hopefully it will just stop producing without a leak. If it is a finished basement, you might want to evaluate the flood risk.

But even new heaters can flood prematurely, but arguably the risk is lower.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would go new. I'm remodeling my house and the only thing running in it on gas for about 4 months was the water tank, washer and dryer. I was getting bills that were approximatly $70 per month. That's one person with just a water tank. I changed the tank out now the bills are about $15 per month.

Tom

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd replace now, too, but if you want to stretch the old one to the limit, you should begin inspecting frequently. Water tanks usually don't totally let go all at once. There would be some leakage that frequent checks would find. But, really, that old tank as served you well far beyond normal life expectancy and doesn't owe you anything. Replace it at your convenience, not when there is an emergency which would follow Murphy's Law and be with a house full of family and 6 feet of snow to fight.

ShannonT

Reaction score
Go for a change.

My 9 year old water heater gave out the day after we got home from a 2 week vacation. I discovered that we had no hot water during my morning shower. :eek: Looked at the water heater and the very shallow drip pan was full (maybe 5 gallons in the pan):(

Had there been a major burst, I would still be mopping up water all over the house. My water heater sits in a closet in the middle of the house.

Unless you have nothing to damage in the basement, go for the replacement.

Cookie

Reaction score
Wow, most people's marriages don't last that long. Get a new one.
(water heater that is) :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks