plumbing of a new clawfoot tub??????

Users who are viewing this thread

junejulie19

Reaction score
I am new at this and maybe the problem I think I have is not a problem at all.. BUT sure seems strange...I am doing a bathroom remodel, redid foor tile, walls, now am putting the clawfoot tub back.
I have to mention that I had a contractor start the job and so him and his partner took the tub out and did all the disconnecting of the plumbing, then they didn't show up after telling me multiple times how they will come tomorrow to finish the tiling and in the end I finished the tiling myself, but now since I didnt take the tub out I am not sure if the way I am putting it in is correct.
It has a regular drain out of the bottom and the drain for overflow, they come together in a standart fashion into one pipe that inserts into the floor. but the piece of piping that connects the overflow and the bottom drain just seems to insert into both pipes without any extra reinforcent, there are no threads to screw anything to anything, there are no traces of solder, or any washers... they are polished metal pipes. and they fit well together.. it can't be that they are not supposed to be sealed somehow right?
this is seems to be a fairly new clawfoot tub, it is not cast iron, I am not sure what it's made of --- we didn't buy it, it came with the house.
Thank you:)

Attachments

• Oct., 07 049.jpg
    Oct., 07 049.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 4,850
Last edited:

vic_loven

Reaction score
both places you have circled should be threaded connections, unless the pipe is copper, if so, they should be sweated. It will leak otherwise!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have worked on several claw foot tubs and every drain I have replaced has been threaded. There is a good chance that the plumbers snapped the threads inside the fittings. You might need to get new parts. It is not easy to use old worn parts so I'm thinking they were planing on getting new.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
threaded tailpieces

those are 1 1/8 threaded tailpieces....
special on old style claw foot tubs....

they have probably got pipe dope on the threads
if it dont leak , dont mess with it....

and that is most likely NOT 1 1/4 pipe....
so it takes that special sized 1 1/8th slip nut
to put it all back together......

unless this is all a new modern up-graded version that
is probably what you are tangling with..

Also..... to your delight and surprise you will probably find that
the tail piece that goes down into the drain will probably be
about an inch or more too short now that the floor has been raised and tiled...

you will either have to unscrew that tailpiece and get a longer
one or go get a 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 grey fernco fitting
and tie into the drain comming up through the floor....
that is the easy way to avoid fooling with the bastard sized nuts
and pipes....

before you go through all this trouble
I also suggest that
you do some sort of water test to be sure that this is
all water tight ??

Last edited:

junejulie19

Reaction score
I hooked it up yesterday and did an extensive test for leaks. So far it's not leaking. But since its a newly remodeled bathroom adjasent to a newly remodeled bedroom I would really hate to drain that big clawfoot tub one day and have it leak al over the place... Could I seal it with some plumber's goop to be sure? will it stick to shiny very polished metal like this?
Thank you..

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
modern drain replacements for clawfoot tubs are normally 1-1/2" since the 1-3/8" has been abandoned. The threads are very fine and are probably factory doped - don't disturb them. If the tube reaches the drain, there's no problem. I certainly wouldn't smear goop on a shiny brass finish.

clawfoot_2218.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks