Can I drain into vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

bloard

Reaction score
I'm adding two sinks to a basement of a fairly new house. The closest current waste stack is about 30 feet and two 90 degree angles away. However, about 5 feet away from both sink locations is my main vent that goes from the roof to under the basement floor. There is nothing upstream from this vent except for the first floor venting tying into it.

Can I drain into the main vent? I read somewhere that this is considered "wet-venting" but wasn't sure if it applied to your main vent stack. Just don't know if it will work. If I can, I assume I should also vent the drain into this same vent stack as well? Or can I just use a bigger pipe for the sink drains and not do a separate vent. The problem is that the vent pipe is on the other side of a staircase and I only have about 3 foot of vertical clearance so it would be a tight fit to run a separate vent but the drain won't be a problem.

Where I live, I'm not too worried about passing an inspection since we don't have any code enforcement. I just need to know if the water will run out of the house without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Running water down a vent can cause problems for other fixtures that had been vented properly.

Also, fittings for vents don't normally have the right sweep for waste.

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
I'm adding two sinks to a basement of a fairly new house. The closest current waste stack is about 30 feet and two 90 degree angles away. However, about 5 feet away from both sink locations is my main vent that goes from the roof to under the basement floor. There is nothing upstream from this vent except for the first floor venting tying into it.

Can I drain into the main vent? I read somewhere that this is considered "wet-venting" but wasn't sure if it applied to your main vent stack. Just don't know if it will work. If I can, I assume I should also vent the drain into this same vent stack as well? Or can I just use a bigger pipe for the sink drains and not do a separate vent. The problem is that the vent pipe is on the other side of a staircase and I only have about 3 foot of vertical clearance so it would be a tight fit to run a separate vent but the drain won't be a problem.

Where I live, I'm not too worried about passing an inspection since we don't have any code enforcement. I just need to know if the water will run out of the house without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

The IPC allows what you describe and you are correct it will be considered a wet vent from the point at which the drain connects to the existing vent. At a distance of 5' the waste line serving each sink will need to be 2" diameter. If you use 1 1/2" at that distance the waste line must be revented to shorten the distance to the vent to no less than 3.5' (just use the 2"). If all is as you say it is this will work just fine. Make sure that the sink wastes are not tied together before connecting to the existing vent. The code will allow, under these circumstances for you to use a cross type fitting but I do not recommend it for the following reason: if one day you need to cable out the line through one of the sinks, the cable will very often "jump" the cross and run up into the other sink rather than down the line. To avoid this use either a double wye with 2-2" street 45s or a double combination (which is the same thing) or you can vertically stack your sink connections.

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Thread drift:

That the slickest, most professionally-put-together website I've ever seen. How big an outfit are you?

Just me and my wife. I run the calls. She answers the phones. We more or less split the admin. Being professional has nothing to do with how many trucks you have and everything to do with the way you conduct business.

If you are interested in a website, may I suggest you contact www.footbridgemedia.com.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I thought you might be a big outfit, because you obviously put a lot of resources ($$) into your marketing. That's a pretty rare thing among smaller outfits, the big boys have more resources to do it, is all.

Very nice.

Don't want to drift the thread further - I'll send you a PM, check your inbox.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks