(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Liquid nails for securing flange?

Default Liquid nails for securing flange?

Just had ceramic tile put down in the bathroom floor this weekend and the tile guy suggested liquid nails instead of drilling through the tile to secure the flange. What's everyones take on this? The flange is a snug fit, I used a 5" hole saw for a 4" flange so it's a perfect fit if it matters.
    Helpful Guides

My totally unprofessional opinion is forget the Liquid Nails and drill through the tile then use screws to hold the flange. It will be interesting to see what the real pros think though.

I have a couple concerns with it as well.

1.) The liquid nails makes the flange uneven after drying.

2.) God forbid the flange ever need replacing and having to wrestle it off the tile without breaking the tile, that stuff is permanent.
    Helpful Guides

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Once the flange is glued onto the pipe, it is essentially permanent, so it doesn't really matter in that respect. Depending on the tile, a glass cutting drill bit, a carbide bit, or diamond core bit might be required to drill. The flange might be uneven if you don't screw it down. I've never tried the bond of that to a floor tile. The pros I've talked to notch the tile before setting them so you don't have to drill through them. It's much easier sometimes to do that in advance.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Just went ahead and drilled them today and set it. I went with a waxless ring and must say I was impressed at how tight that thing was, shouldn't be any issues.
    Helpful Guides

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

You,d never get that advice from a plumber . Drill holes with a roto hammer and screw down. How's the liquid nails working out on the new tile job?

Quote Originally Posted by Livin4Real View Post
    Just went ahead and drilled them today and set it. I went with a waxless ring and must say I was impressed at how tight that thing was, shouldn't be any issues.
    The one time I tried a waxless ring I had nothing but trouble with it. A real bugger to get to seat right, and the opening seems small on them.
    Note: I am a DIY'er and not a professional. My posts here are observations / opinions and may or may not be in accordance with your local ordinances.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I've had several in for years...keep in mind that the opening is still significantly larger than the trapway of nearly any toilet you can buy.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by toolaholic View Post
    You,d never get that advice from a plumber . Drill holes with a roto hammer and screw down. How's the liquid nails working out on the new tile job?

You missed my post saying I just screwed it down as usual, no liquid nails for me.

The one time I tried a waxless ring I had nothing but trouble with it. A real bugger to get to seat right, and the opening seems small on them.
    I have 4" lines so there is no issue with a small opening on the 4" waxless with mine.
    Helpful Guides