Water Heater Location Question

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbBobSquarePants

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I can't have my new water heater installed as per the picture attached? Where the dryer currently is.

Attachments

• waterHtr.jpg
    waterHtr.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 409

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears that you have two fired units going into one flue. That is usually an unacceptble situation, whether the heater is where it is or where you want to put it.

PlumbBobSquarePants

Reaction score
I sure hope it is acceptable as the new flue liner is only 18 months old? It was a reputable company that installed all of the new venting. Didn't need a water heater at the time.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If you posted the state/city/town etc... you live in it would be a lot simpler to tell you what is in code for you.

dowop

Reaction score
It appears that you have two fired units going into one flue. That is usually an unacceptble situation, whether the heater is where it is or where you want to put it.

I'm not so sure about this..... It is done all over the place (and legal) in the Northeast. A rough calculation is that the flue is sized for the largest diameter gas fired flue + 50% of the second size. For the acutal calculation you can reference one of the B-Vent companies product specifications (you need to know the BTU of each appliance). www.hartandcooley.com or www.mtlfab.com

Check with your township, state, but here as long as your using the right size for total BTU you would be allowed to combine them.

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
In N. Ca. ,older homes have this same set up all over , no problem.

This is a prime example why D I Y should list their state and city.
We promise not to tell any x wives out there,REALLY

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks