Juncture of tub and separate shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Access for All

Reaction score
Am I asking for trouble if I butt a shower right up to a tub?

There are occasions when I can raise the tub and thus bring the shower waterproofing and tile vertically up 4-6", but when I can't do that, am I going to run into problems at that juncture? Maybe yes with a steel tub, but definately yes with a fiberglass tub? Or with the materials changes with temperatures and/or weight, will there be movement no matter what?

Any way around this?

Access for All
Independence for all.

Access for All

Reaction score
No wall between. Ideally for some design/client needs, the tub is right "on" the shower floor so to speak. And maybe that's the answer - to tile the whole space, for instance ≈5' x 7' and simply put the tub along the 5' wall, leaving a shower that's about ≈5' x 4.5'. (These showers are tiled curbless showers)

However - a) given the cost of materials and labor, tiling may not be necessary
and thus, would it make sense to just waterproof it?
b) even if waterproofed, if water starts seeping in under the long edge of the tub that's against the shower, wouldn't it start getting a little "funky" under there?

Access for All
Independence for all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks