Recessed marble tub top problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

mc24713

Reaction score
I'd like to do a marble top with a cutout for our recessed tub (picture with example attached) - it's a standard 3-wall recessed bathtub with shower. My contractor says that there can be water leak problems, due to the space between the marble top and the tub, even though marble companies are willing to install it. Is this accurate and is there any preventive measure that can be done to prevent water leaks?

Attachments

• bathtub.jpg
    bathtub.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 596

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Normally sunken tubs are not used in a alcove installation because they are used with a shower. You can chaulk around the tub but with the movement of the tub with people getting in and out there may be a leak.
For this application i would have used a tub that has a top and a tiling flange.
http://www.alcove.ca/Plans/Bains/Plan_230RL.pdf

mc24713

Reaction score
thanks so much for the reply. fortunately we haven't yet purchased or installed the tub. i will ask the installers to do a tile flange. is the tile flange according to these instructions (attached) what you are speaking of? we're even more limited in tub choices since we need to install a 54" tub.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tun

It is built into that tub. But I am confused, because if you were going to install a marble deck over the tub, that implies that there is space all around the tub, in which case a tile flange, (which by definition is intended to contact the adjacent wall), would not be next to the wall.

mc24713

Reaction score
well this is the actual space it will be going into (new tub + marble top)

Attachments

• img408.jpg
    img408.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 488

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
That tub has the built in tiling flange. You only need to specify left or right hand drain.

tun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is built into that tub. But I am confused, because if you were going to install a marble deck over the tub, that implies that there is space all around the tub, in which case a tile flange, (which by definition is intended to contact the adjacent wall), would not be next to the wall.

What they originally wanted to use was a drop in soaker tub on a marble top.
Which would be ok if it was only being used as a tub only, but they also want to use it for a shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks