Newbie Requesting Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Woodsrule

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was lucky enough to find this forum and would appreciate any and all help and/or suggestions. I plan on digging a shallow well next spring and lining it with well tile. The well will be about 12-14 feet deep and I want to pump the water up the hill to our cabin. The total height difference (head?) is around 65-75 feet from the well to the cabin. My questions are: what type of pump should I get, what diameter pipe should I get, and how deep should I bury all of this? Also, what type of bladder tank and/or storage tank should I be looking at? I know I have asked many questions, but please bear with me as I am in the planning stages. Thanks for any help! Tony:):)

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you end up with a good well with a good supply of water I recommend a Submersible Pump. It will make it up the hill with lots of pressure left over for showers etc. The Bladder Tank can be a 42 gallon equivalent if you use a Cycle Stop Valve.

As for burying the pipes, get below the frost line.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodsrule

Reaction score
Bob, Thanks for the info, but I am still confused (most of the time anyway!). I looked at the submersible pumps and they resemble what is in my artesian well at home. My plan is to dig a well about 12-14 feet and I'm not sure if I can just sink a submersible pump in that? Will I need some type of casing, and if so, what is it called? Also, what type of wire do I need to get? Thanks for any and all help. Tony

Speedbump

Reaction score
The important thing is that you have enough water in the well to keep the pump wet at all times. If so, you will have very good pressure as opposed to a jet pump. The wire is submersible pump cable. It's PVC jacketed twisted pump cable 12/2 with ground is what I use the most of.
bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks