Fix for sand in well,will it work?

Users who are viewing this thread

nashfireman

Nashville Fireman/Master Electrician
Reaction score
Long story short,, I have a 4 inch pvc well that we oversized the slots.:mad: Its 61ft deep with 25 ft of slotting. Static water level is 25ft below the surface giving us a good colum of water to work with. Getting sand and or small gravel(some sticks in the pump inlet} in the submersible pump and locking it up. We have blown this well with a 200cfm compressor 3 times letting it blow all day long,starting and stopping. The water never gets nowhere near clear while blowing, but there is alot of it, aprox 20+ gpm. After reinstalling the pump and a few hours of running the water will clear up some but will sand lock after a couple of days.We have the pump about 10ft off the bottom and the sand is filling all the way up to the pump. So, here is my fix. Tell me if you think it will work. Replace the submersible pump with a deep well jet pump. On the drop pipe use a sand point with a check valve insted of a regular foot valve. Im thinking this will keep the sand out and still give us a good flow even if sand fills up above the sand point. I know it will be less flow than a submersible but maybe it wont stop after a couple of days. Yall think this will work? Thanks for all your help.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It will work until the sand fills the 4" pipe enough that it is restricting the flow of water to the screen. If the screen were out in the vein, no problem, but in the pipe, you have now cut off a lot of area where the screen can get water flow from.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
How about a few sections of screen on the drop pipe and a greatly reduced pumping level and rate. If it makes 20 gpm, perhaps you can pump from the upper twenty feet of water level and pump at say 2gpm so to reduce inflow of sand.

Or perhaps you could insert the correct screen to depth inside the existing pipe [3"] and pump within that.

nashfireman

Nashville Fireman/Master Electrician
Reaction score
3 inch

Thought about the 3inch route. But, since Im pumping from about 40ft I dont think the jet will fit down the 3 inch pipe. It just barely slides down a 4 inch. I guess Im missing something... How can we pump from that depth with 3 inch casing??

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are twin-pipe ejector assemblies for three-inch wells.

I haven't seen a three inch two pipe jet in a long time. I sold the last used one I had about 12 years ago. Everybody uses 3" subs now, so nobody I deal with even makes them anymore.

You could use a packer three inch jet if you like or a 3" Submersible Pump.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks