Next years lawn question.

Users who are viewing this thread

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
I got my new water line in down at 6 feet. Thanks for all the good advice.

I found out my lot is a like a big pile of mason's sand. No wonder i can't keep water on the grass. Now that the yard is pretty torn up I'm looking for things I might do to make it easier to hold moisture in the spring. Any suggestion??? I've heard something about a membrane 12 inches down used on for a soccer field?? Or just plain old topsoil?? thanks for all the help on these forums. HS

CHH

Reaction score
I don't know anything about membranes but if it holds water then it could/should work.

On the other hand, adding topsoil is pretty much a traditional approach in some areas. It can be expensive in the western US but it doesn't sound like that's anywhere near you.:)

Maybe talk to folks at a local nursery/greenhouse/lawn supply store about what other folks in the area have done and while checking prices for topsoil.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I vote for topdressing, or adding topsoil. A membrane could do more harm than good, IMHO. If you don't get the slope of the membrane right, it will create local birdbaths (mud puddles) and will never be right unless you dig it up.

Here in southeast PA, "mushroom compost" is available. It is spreadable and is extremely smelly, but adds alot good stuff to the soil.

junejulie19

Reaction score
ok, i might not know much about plumbing but I know gardening. for one your yard is my dream, I am talking to you from my clay slopy patch at high altitude..
if I were you, I'd save the headache and go for the topsoil, now the trick is mix in with it water retaining granules - buy them in bulk and use more than is recommended on the package, it won't do any harm, with time they break down and are good for the soil, here is a link about them i pulled up just now.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0600/water_retaining.asp
you can buy them anywhere where they have a gardening section. do keep in mind that the granules will expand up to 5 or 10 times their size once they absorb water. also mixing in peat moss will help the soil retain moisture.
I do not recommend putting the granules on top of the grass though -- after absorbing water they become like jello - slippery, and it's a hazard to walk on if you have older people or kids around. but if you can keep people off it for a few weeks you can do it as a treatment in the middle of summer

Cookie

Reaction score
When we bought out first house we couldn't grow a blade of grass. After many attempts with every kind of grass seed available on the market we pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that we had the finest looking dirt around. Then, for 25 bucks I think, we had our soil analyzed at Penn State U. After many weeks we had finally heard back from them. The list of nutrients needed was as long as my arm. Plus, was included a handwritten note simply stating one word: SELL.

We did.

We then bought a new house with grass so thick we can't cut it no matter what kind of mower we use.

I am wishing for a goat. A herd of goats with big sharp teeth like rows and rows of little mowers, but who will only bite the neighbors.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Compost is the answer for both clay soils and sandy soils. It'll help your soil retain moisture and will add tons (literally) of organic matter, which will support all sorts of beneficial microscopic critters.

If it were me, I'd contact my local county extension agent and ask how many inches of compost to till into the soil.

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. Looks like I'll have some work to do. That "sell' idea sounded pretty good. Condo. Houseboat. The wife probably won't go for that so I better get the lawn ready. I'll post some pics in June. Thanks again. HS.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks